How to move files from one drive to another using command prompt

How to move files from one drive to another using command prompt

Can someone provide me with a guide on how to move files from one drive to another in the fastest way possible, using command prompt?

Update: Answer

To move files from one drive to another using CMD (Command Prompt) in Windows, you can use the move command. This command moves one or more files from one location to another.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Open Command Prompt

- Press Win + R to open Run dialog box

- Type cmd and press Enter

2. In the Command Prompt window, navigate to the directory containing the files you want to move. You can do this using the cd (change directory) command. For example, if the files are in a folder on the C: drive, you would type something like:

cd C:FolderName

Replace FolderName with the actual name of the folder containing your files.

3. After you've navigated to the correct directory, you can use the move command to move your files. For example, to move all files from that folder to a folder on the D: drive, you would type something like:

move * D:DestinationFolder

Replace DestinationFolder with the name of the folder where you want to move your files to. The * character is a wildcard that matches any file name.

Note: If the destination folder is on a different drive, you should include the /-Y switch at the end of the command to suppress the prompt that asks if you want to overwrite an existing destination file.

4. Press Enter to execute the command.

Remember, this will move the files, not copy. If you want to leave the files in the source location and also place copies in the destination, use the copy command instead of move.

As a final note, remember to be very careful when moving files around, especially when using the command line, because it's easy to accidentally overwrite or delete files.

I hope this answers your question.

Update:

How to move files from C: (C-Drive) to D: (D-Drive)

Here's a step-by-step guide to move files from C drive to D drive using Windows Explorer (File Explorer):

1. Open Windows Explorer: Click on the folder icon in the taskbar or press Win + E.

2. Navigate to the C drive: In the left-hand pane, click on "This PC" or "My Computer", then double-click on the C drive.

3. Locate the files or folders you want to move: Navigate to the folder containing the files or folders you want to move. If you want to move multiple files or folders, you can select them by holding down the 'Ctrl' key while clicking on each file or folder.

4. Cut or Copy the files or folders: Right-click on the selected files or folders, and then click 'Cut' to move or 'Copy' to copy the files or folders.

5. Navigate to the D drive: In the left-hand pane, double-click on the D drive to navigate to the location where you want to move the files or folders.

6. Paste the files or folders: Right-click inside the destination folder and then click 'Paste'. This will move or copy the files or folders to the destination.

7. Verify the move: Check the destination folder to make sure that all the files or folders have been moved or copied correctly.

Remember, using the 'Cut' and 'Paste' method will move the files or folders, while using the 'Copy' and 'Paste' method will copy the files or folders, leaving the original files or folders in the C drive.

That's it! You have successfully moved files or folders from the C drive to the D drive using Windows Explorer.

This method is straightforward and does not require any special software or advanced computer knowledge.

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Don't know how to move but you can use "copy Your file name with extension" to copy a file from a directory to another directory.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Ya i do know how to copy the files from one directory to another.I wanted to know how to move the files or folders from one drive to another using cmd prompt.
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    I think by Move command it can be done. Have you tried the Move command?
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Ya that's correct for moving a file but how to move foldes.
  • Reya
    Reya
    MOVE [drive:][path]filename1,filename2 destination Is this the command used to move the files from one drive to another?
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    @praveena: try xcopy command!!

Xcopy is a powerful version of the copy command; has the capability of moving files, directories, and even whole drives from one location to another.

for eg: You want to copy all files from xyz folder which is on C: drive to abc folder which is present/not present on D: drive! just use following command in command prompt!

if the destination folder is not present it will ask you to create it!

Command:
    xcopy c:\xyz d:\abc /s

xyz is source folder

abc is the destination folder

/s : Copies directories contents

after copying to dest. folder you can delete the source folder. 😉

- Whiz.kid.Aniket
  • Reya
    Reya
    hey thanks whiz😀
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Praveena, move is one othe most dangerous coping commands to use I'll suggest not to use it because if any problem occured it will not allow you access your files and folder. As a solution you can use copy or xcopy commands but that are not that good to use as a final say i'll suggest all to use robocopy and how to use command will answer why,

c:\>robocopy [source file or folder] [desitination]
    single command that can copy files and folers both

c:\>robocopy [file or folder] [hard disk of \\server\path]
    can copy on both server and hard disk

c:\>robocopy /s [sorce folder] [destination]
    copies all directory excluding empty one

c:\>robocopy /e [sorce folder] [destination]
    copies all directories including empty one

c:\>robocopy /z [source file/folder] [destination]
    copies with restart/resume capability

c:\>robocopy /zb [source file/folder] [destination]
    restarts or resumes copy

c:\>robocopy /move [source file/folder] [destinatio]
    copies source to destination then deletes sorce(much safe kind of operation than original move command)

In all if you want to copy type following command,
    c:\>robocopy /e /z [source] [destination]

And if you want to move then,
    c:\>robocopy /move /z [source] [destination]

if it hangs in between resume by replacing /z by /zb

And if you just want to create directory structure,
    c:\>robocopy [source] [destination]
  • Reya
    Reya
    hey thank you so much leo😀😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

New mobile named as Tradesman is claimed to be the first waterproof Smartphone mobile titled by Guinness book of world record also and dust-proof cost around 69.99 pound equipped with...
Hey , Answer to this question guys........ What will hap if a Voltage source of 2V, a Current source of 1A and a resistor of 2 Ohms connected in parallel.............
Hi friends, We all know that CPU speed is used recognize/calculate the processes per second at the faster rate and BUS speed is used to recognize/calculate the rate of data...
I have a question which is asked many times in any interviews. Microprocessors memory is fixed or variable ?
Hello, I have planned to do a project on embedded systems... It's something which I've never tried out earlier... But I've to even present it in a college exhibition.. the...