Move over Lead Acid, here come the Ultra Caps!

Ultracapacitors have an amazingly high efficiency in excess of 90% and a high charge-discharge current characteristics. They have been successfully used in start-stop technology for micro hybrids.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    But these can't yet replace batterires, right? They'll provide the extra 'jolt' when needed. Has this not been used before?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    But these can't yet replace batterires, right? They'll provide the extra 'jolt' when needed. Has this not been used before?
    Ultracaps may soon replace batteries for low power apps like mobile health devices and such. They are certainly having a bright future. Though not yet to replace all car batteries. At least for a while I guess.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, capacitors can't store the energy for a long time. I wonder how long will it take researchers to come up with a solution that does not involve any solid material to store the energy. We seriously need alternatives.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update on printed technology for super capacitors.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    I believe these are use in an electrical KERS right?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    KERS? Kinetic energy recovery systems?
    Ultra caps are finding many uses. They may soon replace rechargeable batteries.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can ofc(optical fibre cable) be used to transmit small current
Hi! I'm Tarun Goel, student of ECE branch from 3rd year. I am persuaing my b.tech from Ideal Institute of tech., Ghaziabad(India). I am a simple guy different from others....
Hello I am Ali - computer science engineer and a new enthusiastic member of crazy engineers community.
Team of researchers from Japan, France and the UK have developed ferroelectric tunnel junction (FTJ) which exhibits voltage-controlled resistance has created a new class of memristor. Given the ultra-high speed...
as we know that mobile towers radiate harmful products. so i have some thought in my mind that if we put antenna under the ground and a major antenna on...