CrazyEngineers
  • The way engineering is progressing it is difficult to know where SciFi ends and reality begins.

3D printing has made giant strides and is already posing a challenge to traditional fabrication processes. Now on the horizon is a new contender 4D printing: Self assembling parts.
    From nano scale to human scale the potential is mind boggling.

Have alook at this interesting TED talk from an MITian:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This from Harvard University on self assembling organic structures:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorSep 20, 2013

I still have my own doubts about the 4th dimensions. Some say it's time some say it doesn't exist. At nano-scale; it's all beyond me. Can someone quickly sum up the 4D printing and 3D printing difference?
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberSep 20, 2013

Kaustubh Katdare
    I still have my own doubts about the 4th dimensions. Some say it's time some say it doesn't exist. At nano-scale; it's all beyond me. Can someone quickly sum up the 4D printing and 3D printing difference?
    That is right. It is time. The objects align themselves later to become the programmed final part. Somewhat on the lines of a dna coding. I am rather hazy myself on this. They predict that architectural elements and furniture and such can be done by this process.

If proven there are major logistic and energy saving implications.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register