Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus Make Their Debut In India: Features, Tech Specs & Price At A Glance

Motorola as a brand found its crowning glory when it launched Motorola Is Coming Back To India With Affordable Moto G In January 2014 in India back in January 2014. Soon it found that this mid-range smartphone was selling like hot cakes in the Indian market until Xiaomi came into the scene. The Google owned company that was soon going to be Lenovo’s had to change gears and it began shelling out new iterations of the phone 2nd Generation Moto G Arrives In India: Features, Tech Specs & Comparison With Moto G 2013. #-Link-Snipped-#. This time they have ditched their original sellers Flipkart and joined hands #-Link-Snipped-# to launch the fourth iteration of Moto G. To remove any confusion associated with generation or launch year, Motorola have named the smartphone Moto G4. But wait; along with Moto G4 they have also launched the Moto G4 Plus that promises to be an exciting addition to the line-up. Let us take a look at both of these smartphones that were launch a few minutes ago in New Delhi.

Moto G4 Launch Event1
Moto G4 Launch Event2 Moto G4 Launch Event3 Moto G4 Launch Event4 Moto G4 Launch Event5
Moto G4 Launch Event Photos Courtesy of Motorola​

First let us take a look at what is similar between both of these smartphones. The Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus have a 5.5inch Full HD resolution display that is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and has a pixel density of 401ppi. Underneath the hood they are equipped with Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 SoC that has a 1.5GHz octa-core CPU, Adreno 405 GPU and depending upon which variant you buy, 2 or 3GB of RAM. Both the Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus are powered by a 3000mAh battery that supports TurboPower mode that gives you 6 hours of usage with 15 minutes of charge. You get to use two SIMs on both with 4G LTE and VoLTE connectivity. Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) runs on both of these smartphones that come with connectivity options like Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi and microUSB.

Moto G4 Plus

Coming to the differences, the major one is the presence of a fingerprint sensor on the Moto G4 Plus. While the front cameras on both the Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus remain at 5MP, the rear camera on the Moto G4 Plus is larger at 16MP and the Moto G4 has a smaller yet capable 13MP camera on the rear. When it comes to variants, the Moto G4 will be sold in a single 16GB internal memory, 2GB RAM variant and the Moto G4 Plus will be sold in 16 GB with 2GB RAM and 32GB with 3GB RAM variants. The Moto G4 lacks a microSD card slot while the latter has one that accepts cards of up to 128GB. We currently do not know the pricing of the Moto G4 as it will be launched in June but we do know pricing and availability information about the Moto G4 Plus. The Moto G4 Plus will launch tonight at midnight exclusively on Amazon India coupled with launch offers like free Kindle e-books, Ibibo Cash and discounted Motorola headphones. The 16GB internal memory 2GB RAM variant will cost you Rs. 13,499 and the 32GB internal memory 3GB RAM variant will set you back by Rs. 14,999.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Thanks to a #-Link-Snipped-#, I was able to buy this phone over to its predecessor the Moto G Turbo.

By the way, I got the black colour 32GB internal 3GB RAM variant for Rs14999/- from Amazon.in.

Here are my Initial impressions after a day of usage:-

Pros:-
    1. Good screen quality. The minimum brightness level on this phone is equivalent to half the brightness on the OnePlus One (of my roommate) & also of my Moto E2 - so, in short a good HD screen
    2. Quick charging option is a great feature to have especially if you are someone who has got less time to waste.
    3. The phone's battery lasts an entire day on continuous WiFi downloads.
    4. Gaming quality is good thanks to the cool specs.
    5. Adequately loud front firing speaker. I'm a huge fan of this. This is probably one reason you should opt for this phone over to the Oppo F1 Selfie which I had considered.
    6. Great front cam and back cam.

Cons:-

1. Heats up a bit on quick charge. But you can live with it.
    2. Does not have a curved back as the previous gen Motos - and since the phone is light weight, you might need a back cover for extra protection. I prefer armoured casing for my phone and have already ordered one.
    3. Overall it's a "2 hand" phone. I'm a large person with normal size hands and my one hand usage of the phone is limited only to 75% of the screen and the top 25% of the screen is far from reach.

Visual Appeal:-

1. Build quality is good. But if I were to expect something more, I would prefer a sandstone finish on the back.
    2. The sides could have been squared a little like the Samsung A5 (2016) because the phone tends to slip from my hands.
    3. Right now the phone looks (at least to me) as a love child between OnePlus One on the back and Motorola on the front. But with some old curvy elements of the likes of a Samsung Note 2

Hope it helps someone to decide.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Thanks to a #-Link-Snipped-#, I was able to buy this phone over to its predecessor the Moto G Turbo.

By the way, I got the black colour 32GB internal 3GB RAM variant for Rs14999/- from Amazon.in.

Here are my Initial impressions after a day of usage:-

Pros:-
    1. Good screen quality. The minimum brightness level on this phone is equivalent to half the brightness on the OnePlus One (of my roommate) & also of my Moto E2 - so, in short a good HD screen
    2. Quick charging option is a great feature to have especially if you are someone who has got less time to waste.
    3. The phone's battery lasts an entire day on continuous WiFi downloads.
    4. Gaming quality is good thanks to the cool specs.
    5. Adequately loud front firing speaker. I'm a huge fan of this. This is probably one reason you should opt for this phone over to the Oppo F1 Selfie which I had considered.
    6. Great front cam and back cam.

Cons:-

1. Heats up a bit on quick charge. But you can live with it.
    2. Does not have a curved back as the previous gen Motos - and since the phone is light weight, you might need a back cover for extra protection. I prefer armoured casing for my phone and have already ordered one.
    3. Overall it's a "2 hand" phone. I'm a large person with normal size hands and my one hand usage of the phone is limited only to 75% of the screen and the top 25% of the screen is far from reach.

Visual Appeal:-

1. Build quality is good. But if I were to expect something more, I would prefer a sandstone finish on the back.
    2. The sides could have been squared a little like the Samsung A5 (2016) because the phone tends to slip from my hands.
    3. Right now the phone looks (at least to me) as a love child between OnePlus One on the back and Motorola on the front. But with some old curvy elements of the likes of a Samsung Note 2

Hope it helps someone to decide.
    An Update:-

Who should buy this phone?:-

1. App testers (excluding high end gamers).
    2. People who browse a lot.
    3. People with lot of on-the-go official work to do, and less of camera and gaming to do.

Who should look for other options?:-

1.Serious high end gamers - the Snapdragon 617 is not gonna help you achieve your "gaming high" due to its overheating after playing large size games which are claimed by few YouTube channels to have crossed 45 degree celsius.

2. Excess camera usage can get the phone heated up (30 minutes of usage as claimed by C4ETech on YouTube), so wait for a software update regarding this...*fingers crossed*

--> Actually none of these bother me much because it serves my purpose of doing more official work (communication/call/SMS/social media/browsing, etc)

And another piece of advice:-
    If you want to play more games go for the Redmi Note 3.
    If you have a better budget wait for the OnePlus 3.

Also, here's a piece of advice to @Lenovo (the puppetteer of Motorola):- You may be a big deal elsewhere, but right now don't think we don't see what you've tried...and we consumers are not blind... The next time you try and fake things up for us, you won't have a brand left to play with... So stop killing Motorola also and give the people what they want (i.e. the old curvy feel, the larger moto indent on the back, perhaps a 5 inch screen because most people have small hands)..... listen to YouTubers especially those from India which is one of your major clients - people like us listen to their advice first before throwing our money at anything....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just as Moto G4 made a debut in India, Micromax was ready to spring another smartphone in the country. The Micromax Canvas Evok was launched recently in the country and...
Hello everyone, Introduction: I'm currently working on a project about food growing. In order to do it I need a bench to bend plastic (acrylic) easly to make the main...
If a report from Bloomberg is to be believed, Twitter is planning to make some changes which shall help you tweet longer messages. Anonymous sources from Twitter Inc have confirmed...
With just a day left for this years Google Annual keynote event, known as the Google I/O 2016, the anticipation has grown to its utmost limit. Every year, Google announces...
A team of computer engineers from University of Texas, Austin has presented their latest groundbreaking research work in the field of random number generators that could revolutionise the world of...