Most common facts that electrical engineers know and others don't?

So there's technical information that every engineer learns as a part of their curriculum or have found out when they are reading books just out of curiosity. Wondering if electrical engineers around here can share any facts that you know that most common people don't?

Things such as truth about CFLs, why we don't suffer from electric shock in certain cases, Why AC, Why DC or absolutely anything else.

I think this would be an interesting thread if many of you jump in and contribute whatever you know.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...that electricity is dangerous thing and one shouldn't mess with it. Writing this because I've seen a ton of people being totally careless when using electric stuff.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    How many electrical engineer are confident enough to join a necked wire while sitting on sofa (fully insulated chair) ☕
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As a ChemE what I say about EE will be known to many others. Anyway here is my 2 volts worth.
    1. Domestic microwave ovens do not alter the food. The frequency is non ionizing (unlike Gamma waves which can radiolyse proteins). The frequency matches the natural vibrating frequency of the water molecule (which is a dipole) and makes it heat up.
    The only hazard is that humans are mostly water and will heat up (common with CEans anyway) if one is directly exposed to the radiation. Domestic ovens are designed to prevent this.

2. Domestic induction Cooktops are likewise safe and non ionizing. In this case the cooktop is the primary coil of a transformer. When a vessel with induction compatible base is put on it, the vessel acts as a shorted secondary of the transformer and virtually the entire wattage of the unit is delivered as heat directly in the bottom of the vessel.
    Also the wattage entering the cooktop is equal to the wattage consumed. Implication: If the vessel does not use the delivered power only the amount used goes on the meter.

One will not feel any heat (or shock) if the hand is put on the cook top even at full power. Caution: if the hand has a ring or the wrist has a metal bracelet there could be burns.

3. It is the current passing through the body that gives the shock not the voltage. Depending on the skin resistance and the point of contact and exit of the current the intensity of the shock can vary.
    The shock given by a 50/60 Hz supply feels worse than a DC of the same voltage.
    Very high frequency AC essentially passes through the skin (Skin Effect) and does not cause the havoc 50/60 Hz does. (I am living proof of this. While experimenting with RF welding of PVC someone switched on the power while I was adjusting the electrodes. At 2000 volts I would have died on the spot if the frequency was 50 Hz. I survived because it was 27.12 MHz)
  • Kuldeepk07
    Kuldeepk07
    "I think this would be an interesting thread if many of you jump in and contribute whatever you know."

OK for this ... 1 VOLT MORE ....

-- " ALWAYS REMEMBER THE MOVEMENT OF CURRENT IS NECESSARY FOR - CAUSING CURRENT - BECAUSE IF THEY DNT MOVE THEY WONT COLLIDE WITH THE SURFACE OF CONDUCTOR "
    -- "NOW THIS COLLISION WITH THE SURFACE OF CONDUCTOR LEADS TO STANDING WAVE EFFECT
    - EVEN THIS LEDS TO SKIN EFFECT"

---- Now on moving to the topic - .... **** always take care of the conduction lines -- Internal in your houses to ** REDUCE ELECTRIC HAZARDS AT HOME **

***** My Heart's call Ishuld add to this that - The thickker line is alwayz better unless you could manage the RESISTANCE WITH YOUR POWER SORCE ...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thanks all. That was really informative. Here's something from my side that my dad explained to me when I was in school.
    The topic was about can electricity be stored?
    This is because electricity is produced when there is flow of electrons. So basically a flow of electrons is highly necessary for storage of current.

We do have chemical batteries and something known as pumped hydro, but it is not cheap to store huge quantities of electricity for use later on.
    Do correct me if I am wrong here.
  • Kuldeepk07
    Kuldeepk07
    Yup !
    Absolutely correct "" MAM ""
    - Even now, we can't -- Save what we have created n THAT'S REALITY TO ADMIT ...

but mam I wnna discuss something .. PLZ IF U SAY

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

On this day of Christmas, Amazon is giving 40 paid apps for free. Visit Amazon.com download its app (Amazon Store) install it, login with your account & buy all the...
It’s been just a few months Apple Inc. launched the latest iPhones-6 and 6 Plus, there’re rumors that the company is planning to go with 4-inch version of iPhone pronounced...
Announced in October earlier this year, the HTC Desire Eye is now reportedly available in India. According to an established Mumbai-based retailer Mahesh Telecom, the phone can now be purchased...
I am a MBA HR post graduate with computer science engineering as graduation. Now a Human Resource professional with about 4 years of experience in HR in sectors like manufacturing,...
Many engineers around here are coding or have been into programming at some point of their life. You all must've made mistakes or started off on a bad foot or...