Mosquito larvae trap?

Can we design an effective trap for mosquito larvae?

"Bug lights" that electrocute insects are known to be ineffective against mosquitoes. Effective mosquito traps are rather elaborate devices that attract the critters with heat and carbon dioxide from a gas flame and vacuum them into a chamber. Would it be possible to make a simple trap that attracted female mosquitoes to lay their eggs in some stagnant water and then killed the larvae before they developed to being adults?

Perhaps the trap could filter the water periodically with a filter that would catch the larvae and allow the stuff the larvae eat to pass through. I think mosquito larvae must periodically come to the surface of the water for oxygen, so if they were trapped under water they would die.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    @ tashirosgt
    a very attractive yet innovative idea.I want CEans pour some of their time here.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Design for many versions are already available.
    Just leave an open cup or tray of water out and you will have the larvae in it in a day or two.
    Here is one that catches the mothers as well:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The rising technology changes today much have taken atleast some of you away from Android. Please answer the poll and let us know how popular each of these OS is...
I have seen lots of blogs saying they are reliable. They advertise that the E-commerce provides free home delivery and their prices are cheaper then others. Some of the providers...
what does T stands for in 4 T or 2T oil
plz give some ideas for my final year project for mechanical
can anybody provide me a link where i can find the systemcalls and process syncronization algos..for andriod os