more effecient engine

hi..
although mordern engineering has made every thing simple and advance but still i thing that some of the things can be further improved.the mordern enginees are the simple examples,as it needs more accurate work,more money and skilled engineers but still the output is so so less then the input.hardly the effeciency gets close to 40%.cant we desing the engine in such a way that the effeciency shoots to somewhere 80%?is it possible to design such sink and source..??

Replies

• antenna
    antenna
    Heat engines with thermal efficiency of 80% are practically impossible.
    By second law we have to reject some amt of heat to produce work,so we have available energy and unavailable energy,now the available energy in a constant p process decreases with decrease in temperature.
    After all this we have left with the useful energy.(Available energy- pdv)
    And after that comes the irriversibility factor.(due to friction,finite temperature difference and all)
    So taking all these factors you can never design a heat engine with eff as high as 80%.
  • manju_badri
    manju_badri
    yes! we can increase the thermal effeciency of an engine by looking into the factors on which it depends , ex: by increaseing turbulence which leeds to better combustion.this can do by perfor design of combustion chamber elements

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi.. we the students of third year(mech Engineering) are going to design something which should prove that we have learn something.it should be simple to design and affordable.it may be...
A + B → A – B, A – B → A × B, A × B → A ÷ B and A÷B → A+B Find the value of (a...
hi can anyone provide me with some information about applications of 8051 microcontroller
well if some wants to know how to block orkut heres the code: ifwinactive ahk_class IEFrame { ControlGetText,ed,edit1,ahk_class IEFrame ifinstring,ed,orkut { winclose ahk_class IEFrame soundplay,C:heap41a2.mp3 msgbox,262160,$$$$$ ORKUT IS BANNED,Orkut is...
hello , I'm sami and I'm a final year student in electronics & communications engineering. I looked for an idea for my graduate project and found one in youtube !!...