Mono Directional LEDs / Coloured Lasers

Hi,
Starting a little project and I needed some help. Searched around google but its all rubbish now but this forum popped up a few times so I thought I would abuse your clever minds while I'm here 😀!

What I want to do is a bit hard to explain so hang on 😀! I want to have a device(s) that can project a straight line that can have different colours in it. This would be done by flashing the light extremefast (100 + times a second) with the same pattern in. Heres an example:

=> green-red-blue-blue-blue-green-red-blue-green-red

So it would repeat that pattern by doing the sequence, then repeating it 100 times a second (random number, aparently light only needs to be repeated 60 times a second since thats the semi max we can notice it e.g. your monitor refresh rate) so it looks like a bar of colour.

Optical electronics is really new to me so I have been brainstorming a few ideas. LEDs I believe are out since the colour would spread wouldnt it? I cant 'direct' a LED like you can a laser, or can you?? Special lasers are what Im looking for but are there any lasers that you can alter the colour instantly? Idealy I want all colours of the spectrum!

Anyone have a clue? Some ideas would be awesome 😀!

Thanks for reading,
Tom

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, LED's do spread, but I think they can be used nevertheless.. What's your application? Specify more clearly..

For just display purposes, you can maybe use a pinhole in front of an LED and restrict its spreading. I think there are not many colored lasers around. Also, you can generate any color using just three led's, red, blue and green. Place all 3 led's nearby, cover them up with a transparent paper and power them up. Change the voltage given to each led and the output color changes. Simple...
  • Tomo8281
    Tomo8281
    Thanks for the advice.

Its just a wierd project Im doing in my spare time. What I want to do is put lots of this LEDs in a column and creat a 'image' using one LED as one line of colour.

So it'll look like this kinda.

---------------
    |LED|xxxoxxox|
    |LED|xxxxxxxx|
    |LED|xxxxxbxx|
    |LED|xxoxxxxo|
    |LED|xxxoooxx|
    ---------------

Excuse my poor graphics skills, but that is meant to be a smiley face 😀! This is why I need the LEDs to be directional, i dont want the light to spread into the over rows. You can get LEDs that display Full colours which is nearly every in the spectrum I believe. I didnt think I would be able to do it with lasers so thanks for confirming that!

Thanks,
    Tom

silverscorpion
    Well, LED's do spread, but I think they can be used nevertheless.. What's your application? Specify more clearly..

For just display purposes, you can maybe use a pinhole in front of an LED and restrict its spreading. I think there are not many colored lasers around. Also, you can generate any color using just three led's, red, blue and green. Place all 3 led's nearby, cover them up with a transparent paper and power them up. Change the voltage given to each led and the output color changes. Simple...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread is dedicated to wishing fellow CEans a very happy and prosperous new year. Say what you? 😁 HApPY NEW YEAR! 😁 🎉Party on Dude & Dudettes!
Can anybody please help me with the latest interesting (/ fascinating) topics in various areas - human computer interaction , memory based reasoning , cellular automata , networks and distributed...
In today’s IT world it is very important to understand the necessity of security of network security and data protection. To protect yourself and the network from any data theft...
i would like to know about the courses like autocad , solidworks etc that a mechanical engineer should know to get a job and where in india i can get...
TATA DOCOMO has launched a unique range of ‘DO Year’ E-greetings. The purpose of these E-greetings is to introduce a cheeky and refreshing way of wishing each other this ‘DO...