Modelling or construction of cars and motorbikes

Hey guys, I am developing interest these days in the field of constructing self designed cars amd motorbikes, like using available engines and other standard components but having a modified design for other parts and the assembly of the vehicle( say like a tank, frame, wheels, exhaust pipes, handle for bikes). I am a noob in this area of making self designed or remodelled bikes or cars. I didint use one , so I didnt really bother to study how the different components are assembled and what gets connected where etc, except the basic knowledge about the IC Engines which we all Mecheans are well versed with. I really want to know more about how to design the above mentioned parts for eg. considering the functional stresses and forces on them, satisfying a sound design requirements. I would like to know about how the assembly of parts is done, what componenent are taken as it is and what are self machined and actually how all this fits in to take a final ready shape.
Any help in terms of some good books, or free websites, and ofcourse the experience of all you fellow ceans is most welcome. Remember I am NEW in this field😲
Awaiting your replies, and looking forward to learn this new thing.

- Rohan

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, it might be possible to learn a lot from assembling RC cars. They operate on basic principles similar with their larger sized relatives 😉
  • gohm
    gohm
    Take some art & design courses. Then take some industry specific courses on auto or bike design. While studying, visit as many manufactures and custom shops as you can to see how it is done. Take some classes in auto/bike repair or work/volunteer in a shop. This will give you valuable first hand knowledge on the components and how they interact with one another in real world applications.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Hey gohm, actually I want to learn about the theoretical details of this and get the basics right now. I am not planning to get into the actual process of constructing bikes this point of time. I want to learn the basics first say through a good book/ebook which would give a detailed idea of the parts and their assembly, connection working, functional design. I am not taking it as acareer option, so its not feasible to devote time for an extra course as you rightly suggested from the career point of view.
    So, I would like to know more about this without a formal course as such, but I do want to learn this as much as possible. So can you please suggest me some books/ebooks, or some websites which can give me the theoretical knowledge along with explanatory illustrations of the parts and their assembly. Websites having videos of how things are put together on the shopfloor and how the thing actually takes shape would be great help. Remember Im making a total start from scratch.
    PLEASE do take time out to reply, Im interested in this, and any help from a bike enthusiast like you having much experience in this field, will be a great resource for learning this.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Well, one place to start would be repair manuals like Chilton, Haynes or the manufactures. Read the bike/car mags. Also here's a couple bike design sites to get you started:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zenie
    zenie
    hey me too interested in self designed cars and bikes... please get me know of that on that part of which is the best tool for designing and how to get some nice tutorials
    Zen

Mod:
    Do not post external links which are either not related to the topic of the thread or advertise something.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Hey Ceans,
    Whats happening to you all?? I thought this topic will entice many of you. But it seems you guys just forgot to post back( just read it and sneak away...hmm...). Joking guys!! But yes, I really expect a far better response and activity from you'll. Gimme some more insight on this topic, I really need to know.
    So just get going guys and type out all the info you got. Dont be lazy you all bike freaks!! wheres your biking enthusiasm all gone now?? come on lets hear more from you and ye, SOON 😀)
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    What do you want to know? Anything in specific.
    As far as the general query, Gohm has given a good answer.

Thinking of starting a Machine Design Tutorial and an Automobile Mechanics Tutorial in CE*

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can u pls suggest me ne 4 th yr major project on networkin(telecommunication).........???
Firefox may have updated to 3.0.9 just last week with a few critical security fixes, but the folks at Mozilla are already pushing out 3.0.10—this time fixing a major stability...
According to a abstract from the rediff.com: The Indian IT services sector may see up to five per cent layoffs - amounting to more than one lakh job cuts -...
Dear Ceans, Rather than making so many threads on the IPL lets Make one Huge Topic and Discussed all about IPL players and Matches here... 😁
Hi! I'm new here, and this is my first contribution for this community. These are web sites where I started to be interested in electronics, so I share it with...