Mobiles to detect fake notes: Courtesy 21 yr old

Bangalore: A 21-year-old engineering student Neha M, has developed a mechanism by which a cellphone can double up as a counterfeit note detector, and for this project, she won the Rs. 1 lakh prize at the Innovation Challenge, organized by Schneider Electric India,
What do you think Guys...is it not a nice job done by young Girl
I think now it will prevent duplicate notes scandal to a great extent...in order to cause any further harm on Indian economy

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is a wonderful innovation must say!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can someone get Neha on CE?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    This is her journey to acchieve this
    Neha, a student of Vidya Vikas Institute of Engineering and Technology in Mysore says, "The increasing number of counterfeit notes in the country prompted me to develop this device. A trained eye can detect a fake note, but not the common man."

Her aim was to empower the common man with a easily available device to help him detect fake notes. That's why she decided to use a mobile phone for her project, which she started off seven months ago.

"I read a number of surveys by the Intelligence Bureau on the circulation of fake notes, features of currency notes, security features, including water markings and magnetic ink," said Neha who is an alumni of Jyoti Nivas College at Koramangala.

The most important tips came from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). "In October, the bank held an exhibition, where officials discussed various features of currency notes and how they are printed," she said. Neha took the opportunity to ask the officials about fake notes. However, she faced a problem when she wasn't allowed to touch fake currency, as it is against the rules. "But, after much persuasion, I got to at least see the notes," she recalls.

She came to know the differences between genuine and fake currency, and used her knowledge to modify her phone to detect fake notes. "The modifications do not disturb any of the normal functions of the cellphone," she says. The only requirement is that the cellphone should have the camera feature. However, she refuses to reveal the specifics.

Now Neha is hoping that some mobile phone company will pick up her invention. "I have done 60 percent of the work. For the rest, which includes installing and design modification, I want a cellphone firm to endorse the software," she says.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Good going!! Cool!!

However it'd be nice if we knew which feature of the legitimate currency note she used to
    differentiate it from fake ones...
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    I saw an ad a few days back in which a local mobile company launched mobiles with currency scanner. May be she got hired by that company 😀
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Guttu
    I saw an ad a few days back in which a local mobile company launched mobiles with currency scanner. May be she got hired by that company 😀
    What was name of company?
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    Can't recall. I normally avoid local brands as they have poor after sales service in spite of being local.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am using L293D motor driver for line follower which has the following pin configuration- In this at Pin no. 8 we have to apply the voltage at which we...
When I joined ce I had not introduce myself so here is my brief introduction Myself manish goyal from shaheed Bhagat singh college of engineering..currently pursuing Btech in cse This...
I want to know ,, what is operating systems' real job in mobiles ?? and how much we need them in mobiles? Also what we'll miss if the current mobiles...
Today i Listened this...absolutely great "Earth Song" What about sunrise What about rain What about all the things That you said we were to gain... What about killing fields Is...
Today i try to understand DDOS attacks....SO I would like to share with you what i learn ..seems to very simple but very dangerous A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or...