Mobile Wars || What's your take?

We're keen to use the latest technology, and all we're often left out is with Windows Mocks Android And iOS Users. Don't we have anything to say about it? Have we not let these companies take away what is rightfully ours - our choice to communicate and our device? We have used their products, but now, can't we tell them what kind of product we want? Why does Nokia have to have less of something while Samsung or HTC would have more of it, and vice-versa? Are we the ones to be blamed?

#Learn.to.question โ˜•

Replies

• Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Mobile phone manufacturers have only two motives. To sell their phones and to bring in new mobile technology.

The products they make are based on our requests and things which make daily routines easier. They are people too and they too know what people need to communicate through devices.

The companies which had a great vision to the mobile world and the ones who kept up with the changing environment in this field, only prevailed here and others are now struggling.

We are not to be blamed for anything/ It solely rests on the objectives and vision of these companies that are making them face consequences.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhijit Dey
    Mobile phone manufacturers have only two motives. To sell their phones and to bring in new mobile technology.
    Agreed!

The products they make are based on our requests and things which make daily routines easier. They are people too and they too know what people need to communicate through devices.
    {Samsung has introduced Gorilla Glass only on its Samsung Galaxy S4. Nokia has been using the same for almost 2 years.} (wrong info)

The companies which had a great vision to the mobile world and the ones who kept up with the changing environment in this field, only prevailed here and others are now struggling.
    Providing features without suitable hardware innovation can't be justified. Each company makes phones with one or the other flaw. There is nothing in perfection today, thus people are left more confused and 'end up' following 'the trend'...

We are not to be blamed for anything/ It solely rests on the objectives and vision of these companies that are making them face consequences.
    We buy certain unfinished products. What we don't realise is that we've sacrificed the true spirit of a mobile phone to get mere slabs with whatever tech features these companies offer. Well, just tell me how many of you people out there feel an attachment to your phone now??? I don't! But it wasn't like that before...
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    Samsung has introduced Gorilla Glass only on its Samsung Galaxy S4. Nokia has been using the same for almost 2 years.
    Whaaaat ? You serious,man ?

Samsung has been using Gorilla glass since it was launched i.e. from 2010.
    What you see in Samsung's S4 is "Gorilla Glass THREE" !

Corning unveiled GG3 in CES'13 & I guess Samsung's S4 is only product in market with GG3 right now.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    We buy certain unfinished products. What we don't realize is that we've sacrificed the true spirit of a mobile phone to get mere slabs with whatever tech features these companies offer. Well, just tell me how many of you people out there feel an attachment to your phone now??? I don't! But it wasn't like that before...
    Are you willing to pay for the BEST mobile phone (meaning all the features that you want)? And then, no two persons want the same features at same priority. These things are somewhat still affordable only because they are mass manufactured. If they started making a bespoke version (think high-end sports cars), then people would start complaining why don't they make something for the masses.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    Whaaaat ? You serious,man ?

Samsung has been using Gorilla glass since it was launched i.e. from 2010.
    What you see in Samsung's S4 is "Gorilla Glass THREE" !

Corning unveiled GG3 in CES'13 & I guess Samsung's S4 is only product in market with GG3 right now.
    Aww...My Bad! Messed up both Capacitive Screen and Corning Gorilla glass. Sincere apologies for the mayhem!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anand Tamariya
    Are you willing to pay for the BEST mobile phone (meaning all the features that you want)? And then, no two persons want the same features at same priority. These things are somewhat still affordable only because they are mass manufactured. If they started making a bespoke version (think high-end sports cars), then people would start complaining why don't they make something for the masses.
    I'd start off by asking for a bigger capacity of battery that'd last for atleast 2 days on full usage of applications and internet. I don't think that's too much to ask for even on a cheaper version of smartphone. As for the features - how much stuff can you really do on a smartphone? There's always a limit.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    full usage of applications and internet
    This is still ambiguous. What applications do you use most? A day of gaming or video is not the same as a day of web browsing - power usage wise. How do you standardize this?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anand Tamariya
    This is still ambiguous. What applications do you use most? A day of gaming or video is not the same as a day of web browsing - power usage wise. How do you standardize this?
    I don't game or watch videos on the phone. I use a laptop for that. However, I'm keen on multitasking. I keep all the social networking apps synchronized and am online most of the day, even if I'm at work. This ensures that people who seek me will get me 24/7. And I listen to music. I do text and make occasionally calls which last for almost 45mins per day to various near and dear ones; including the Internet calls made through viber. I also prefer the lowest brightness available on the display, don't run any background live wallpapers or unwanted animation. Inspite of all the limiting, I just get about 14 to 16 hours of battery on my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. I used to do all this quite similarly on my Nokia 603, but the battery would stay 'alive' for almost 24 hours.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    anoopthefriend
    Inspite of all the limiting, I just get about 14 to 16 hours of battery on my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. I used to do all this quite similarly on my Nokia 603, but the battery would stay 'alive' for almost 24 hours.
    Then blame it on Android ๐Ÿ˜€ Symbian is more lightweight!!

On a serious note, manufacturers will build what sells - and today that means features rather than performance.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anand Tamariya
    Then blame it on Android ๐Ÿ˜€ Symbian is more lightweight!!
    Both are different types of OS platforms. Can't blame either one of them.

On a serious note, manufacturers will build what sells - and today that means features rather than performance.
    Why not? Surely they'll get more profit if the hardware is set to perform as well. Who can say no? Would you rather stick to one phone or keep changing it every month as per the tech advancement?

What companies should do is not to create more similar looking not-up-to-the-mark-non-performers but create just one model that'll fit in your hand (and wouldn't make you look like a weirdo), with essential 'upto standard' features and good battery...I bet they'd get thrice the current profits...

P.S.: Can you name me one model of (android) smartphone that priced between 10k to 20k rupees (that's the average range for a good phone now)
    , that'd fit my description?
  • lal
    lal
    anoopthefriend
    P.S.: Can you name me one model of smartphone that priced between 10k to 20k rupees (that's the average range for a good phone now), that'd fit my description?
    I think You already know the answer!

I used to do all this quite similarly on my Nokia 603, but the battery would stay 'alive' for almost 24 hours.
    Or may be an E72 will do the job too.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    I think You already know the answer.
    Question clarified as Android smartphone.
  • lal
    lal
    Well, I couldn't resist but ask. What do you think are the advantages of using Android when compared to Symbian or any other OS when Symbian clearly meets your requirements? I hope it is not merely because of the so called 'current trend'!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    Well, I couldn't resist but ask. What do you think are the advantages from using Android when compared to Symbian or any other OS when Symbian clearly meets your requirements? I hope it is not merely because of the so called 'current trend'!
    Good question! I used to hate touch phones. I got my first one which was as you know Nokia 603. The Symbian interface used was Symbian Belle Featured Pack 1. It is one hell of a phone. But, Nokia had limited all the good stuff for paid option. We'd get limited games/apps from the Nokia Store for free. The android market for applications is a boon thanks to Google Play and Samsung Apps. There're apps for almost everything that are quite useful. I am still exploring through as it's been just three weeks since my mom surprised me with this Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. Also things work faster on Android. I am on CE through the phone and the difference in speed shows when comparing Symbian to Android. And believe me, I'm using 2G internet all this while.

In short, Android is like a clean slate with a soft back on. What it needs is the love of a Nokia to turn it on!

P.S.: I've also tried some models of HTC, Sony and Apple phones as well, from a couple of friends. Apple does well in hardware.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    #-Link-Snipped-# The thing is that as you are well aware of what the smartphones can have, you want one with the features you think are the best.

But these companies spend hours figuring out the best the phone can have at an affordable price. If it ain't affordable they are stalled until that technology can be made affordable. The reason you are seeing camera sensors so thin and with so many megapixels is because it is now affordable, earlier the technology was present but wasn't feasible enough to be put into manufacture.

And at the end its all about opinion. Most of the users around the world are more than happy using an Android or iOS. The people who are not happy are the ones who keep flashing and tweaking their phone every now and then.
  • lal
    lal
    Affordable to whom? Sony xperia Z or Samsung galaxy S4 are defenitely not affordable for me ๐Ÿ˜ nor to most common men out there. These phones offer almost all existing features and a descent battery backup at a non affordable rate. But is it worth spending that much for those features? Well, I don't think so!

About image sensors. I don't agree that mobile phone manufacturers include a thinner, higher pixel count sensor just because it has gone cheaper. They do so only because technology allows them to and they know people have a misconception that more mega-pixels means a better quality picture, which is not actually the case. I would rather say, it is a marketing tactics.

Always I thought it is the modders who are happiest. Let it be any machine, they tweak it so that it performs the way they want it to. Isn't it like that?

The major problems, I felt, with a midrange Android device is its sluggishness and low battery life. And that of an apple device is the super huge price tag and kind of no freedom! Yes, there is no 'ideal' device. Needs are different for every user. Mod it and you can meet many of the needs I believe.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Waiting for Nexus 4 a affordable and quality from google itself ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    What I meant was that camera sensors then were expensive to incorporate and now they are affordable!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The advancement in technology has shown us eras with Lathe being called the mother of all machines,the dedicated manufacturing system and the flexible manufacturing system. The dedicated manufacturing system was...
A team of students at Columbia University has been working on a robotic arm that reacts to facial gestures. The robotic arm is called, well, ARM, which stands for Assistive...
Samsung is back with yet another tablet (how often do we use 'yet another' here?) that's featuring an 8-inch screen and so it won't categorize in the smartphone section ever....
Bullying in schools is so common. Wherever you are, in any part of the world, you know someone who got bullied in school or even college. Here's a nice take...
MediaTek, the company well-known worldwide for being Taiwan's biggest handset chip designer is now making raves, owing to its latest launch. The MediaTek MT6572, is a next-gen, dual-core smartphone platform...