Mobile Phones Without IMEI Numbers Blocked

Mobile phones in India that do not have IMEI numbers have been blocked. It is being reported that that number could well be 25 million.

According to Indian intelligence agencies, phones without IMEI numbers - that are mostly cheap, unbranded phones - have been used by militant groups to stay under the radar.

According to the Indian Cellular Association 30% of all phone sales in the country are of the unbranded ones, which are mostly imported from China.

I think it is correct to make such a move because such phones can have really unfortunate implications like 26/11

It will help put up the level of security

What say?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    It is a correct move, but the authorities should have given some notice before carrying out the action. Its not like people can immediately buy a new phone the next day!
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    But authorities had told this much in advance

It was known in news radio everywhere about this

Even the deadline for it was earlier in mid 2009 which got extended to 1 Dec
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    It has been in news since January this year

The 26/11 incident was the stimulus for such an action
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah sorry, my bad! 😀 That is indeed ample notice time. Thanks for the info.
  • yaang
    yaang
    what is the 26/11 incident ?
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    26/11 is the one of the black days in Indian history

Last year on 26/11 there was attack on Mumbai City

Terrorists hostaged many citizens and there were many who became the target of their guns and bombs

It was really nerve-shaking

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, I was , skimming through the internet for my final year project topics, and I came across the topic. "Image Transfer Protocol". A protocol entirely for the purpose...
TextPad® Size :- 2.47 Mb Whether you simply need a powerful replacement for Notepad, a tool for editing your web pages,Java or a programming IDE, TextPad does what you want,...
The Obama administration extended the regional centre investment EB-5 program, which entitles investors who put in $1 million into regional centre real estate projects and create at least 10 jobs...
Facebook is introducing privacy features to all its members [ currently 350 million! ] Facebook CEO's open letter - We’re adding something that many of you have asked for —...
CEans, We need more of you to share the latest news with the rest of us through our CE InFocus section. The InFocus section is meant for all the tech-related...