MIT developed microthrusters could propel small satellites

There is a clutter of 'CubeSats', tiny nano satellites in orbit. Pushing them around, orienting and such chores are difficult using conventional thrusters.
MIT researchers have developed micro thrusters that use ion beams generated by a thruster that looks more like an IC chip, which bears promise to handle these jobs. Nano for nano.
Out of box? Out of space engineering!

Designfax – Technology for OEM Design Engineers

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    True. CEan Madhumitha wrote an article discussing the same on VoiCE -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I keep forgetting to check Voice entries before posting. Should be more careful in future.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Back when I was working in a CubeSat concept design in uni, propulsion was a huge challenge. Our team experimented with chemical propellants and all.

Mini Ion thrusters will be give a huge boost to CubeSat development for sure!Though The orbit must probably be higher that 400km to avoid atmospheric drag, seeing the thrust output is relatively small.

AbraKaDabra
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Hi AKD, the link seems broken 😔

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I dont know whether this is right place to post ... but um anyways.. A thought of external gfx card just a moment ago spawned in my brain. How about...
It's now possible to store data on a piece of glass and the good thing about it is that it can sustain the information for a time span of about...
Hello Friends I am badly stuck with this, I need to retrieve mobile number of user in my mobile app Is it really possible to retrieve it specifically in IOS...
..OK. it might not really fit in techonlogy forum - but can you see the amazing beauty of this reef?? I so want to be-there, do-that!!!. Google maps have come...
You can easily reveal Gmail password in any browser by using this simple trick. Some of you may already know it, but this should be an eye-opener to those who...