Mirror finish : Surface finish value?

Can we get mirror reflections on any materials by machining on CNC machining center..?
If it is possible what is the surface finish value..?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CNC machining cannot give a mirror finish. The cutting tools used are similar to what is used for regular machining, which means that only a similar surface finish will result.
    Medical devices like artificial joints and heart valves have to be dimensionally accurate and have working surfaces with a mirror finish. We routinely do CNC machining of the basic component followed by an elaborate post machining surface finishing operation. This consists of Wet cutdown by tumbling, dry finish tumbling, tumble shot peening to impart surface hardness and final manual buffing to a mirror finish.

The finished part has a surface finish of better than 0.1 micrometer Ra.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I stumbled upon KaraokeGarage - a social singing platform that is fun to use and brings your singing talent out of bathroom. What the site lets you do is play...
Here's an old trick that lets you play youtube videos in VLC media player - arguably the world's most favorite media player on Windows, OSX and Linux platforms. I tested...
Hi I want to know that is there a way to decode an e-mail header to find out who or from where that email have sent. thanks
IIT Kanpur's popular Annual Festival 'TechKriti 2013' is coming again between 14th to 17th March 2013 with a bang. The word Techkriti coined as a combination of words - Technical...
Here , I have found a link which listed the list of all scam websites which says that you can earn money online for free. I have read about a...