Minimum Thickness of PCC for All Civil Works

Minimum Thickness of PCC for All Civil Works

can you please explain us about what are the minimum thicknesses for pcc in proportions for all the civil works i,e from raft to finishing of a building?

Answer:

PCC, or Plain Cement Concrete, is often used in the construction process as a base for other materials or structures. Its thickness varies depending on the type of work and the expected load on it. However, it's important to note that final decisions about thickness should be made by a competent engineer, taking into account the specific circumstances of the project.

Here are some general guidelines:

1. Footings: For residential buildings, PCC in footings is usually around 150mm (6 inches). For commercial buildings or buildings with heavy loads, it can be more than 150mm.

2. Raft or Mat Foundations: PCC thickness generally ranges between 75mm (3 inches) to 150mm (6 inches).

3. Ground or Basement Slab: For ground floor slabs and basement slabs, the PCC layer is typically between 100mm (4 inches) to 150mm (6 inches).

4. Road Pavements: For pavements, the PCC thickness will depend on the expected traffic load. It can range from 150mm (6 inches) for light traffic to 300mm (12 inches) or more for heavy traffic.

5. Roof Slab or Terrace: PCC layer is generally not used directly on the roof slab or terrace. Waterproofing is typically provided here. However, for any additional screed or protective layer, it can be 20mm to 40mm.

6. Finish: For finishes like plastering, it’s usually between 12mm to 25mm.

I hope this helps. There are load calculations, soil bearing capacity, exposure conditions and other factors to be considered to decide the thickness and mix of PCC.

Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Replies

• shaji.m
    shaji.m
    minimum thickness of PCC should be 50mm of M10 or M15.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    prahumac
    civil works i,e from raft to finishi
    I am not sure what your are referring as PCC. As per my knowledge it is a Plain cement concrete, which is a bed layer used to laid on the ground. Over that foundation will be rested. Usually it will be 10cm thick.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Voracious readers and book enthusiasts have already adapted to a modern type of reading – Digital Reading. For the last few years, owing to technological advancements and large endorsements by...
In India affordable Android Marshmallow smartphones are hard to come by but all that has changed with the recently launched Intex Cloud Fame. Intex Technologies, a company which has the...
Micromax Informatics Limited has unveiled their new smartphone, the Canvas XP 4G. The Micromax Canvas XP 4G is an entry-level smartphone that provides access to 4G LTE connectivity and some...
Please I want some guidelines to start my career.I Completed my B.Tech with 74.5%.I Know Auto Cad&Staad.pro. Is there any opportunities.
Machine learning could be soon readily used for monitoring manufacturing procedures of new materials, as reported by the Los Alamos National Laboratory. A unique computer based technique might provide a...