Microsoft Windows Rules Desktops With 90% Market Share

Bill Gates and team started Microsoft with a vision to put desktop on every desk and after decades; that vision has come to reality. All over the world, Microsoft powered desktop operating system Windows totally dominates the desktop operating system markets with ~ 91% market share. The report was published by NetMarketShare that puts Windows on the top followed by OSX at ~7% and Linux at third place with ~1% of the entire desktops.

Microsoft knows how important Windows it is for the future of the company and the computing industry itself; and is therefore taking several bold steps to ensure that upcoming Windows 10 will keep their market share intact. Most importantly, Microsoft has said that Windows 10 will be their Windows 10 - The Last Microsoft OS Will Be 'SaaS' that will keep getting incremental upgrades; a la Apple OSX.

Desktop-Market-Share-Windows-OSX

Among all the Windows versions, Windows 7 seems to be the most popular throughout the globe, beating competition from Windows XP (second) and Windows 8.1 (third). When Microsoft rolls out Windows 10, it will be a huge challenge for their marketing teams to ensure that Windows 10 gets installed on millions of machines.

It's interesting to note that globally, the desktop markets are on the decline as mobiles and tablets continue to replace desktops and laptops. The story on the mobile side is very different. iOS seems to rule with 59.21% followed by Android at 25.01%.

Do check all the interesting statistics on the source link below. Let us know your views.

Source: Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The story on the mobile side is very different. iOS seems to rule with 59.21% followed by Android at 25.01%.
    Is this worldwide. Unusual data.
    IDC smartphone share: #-Link-Snipped-#
    The Marketshare : Operating system market share
    However I trust on IDC. *even netmarketshare saying Android on 51%.
    For windows desktop share. It should fine number. Windows keep ruling the desktop version. I don't see it is going to decline unless Microsoft messed up itself.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm surprised too. Maybe they changed the labels. But that's what their website shows. It's no brainer that Android market share has to be bigger. I'm guessing they established their statistics by counting the number of visitors to a couple of websites using smartphones. I think iDevice would definitely succeed on that front. Not a reliable way to measure market share though.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Thank for such brilliant ideas, am ssemakula frank, a student of telecommunication engineering makerere university I have a project idea for conserving the wasted heat in coking most especially for...
I have completed my B.tech/IT and now i would like to do any certification course which fetch me job at the earliest. And my area of interest is software testing....
when is the next date for applying ies application?
OnePlus 2 will be launched completely in virtual reality on 28th July at 7:30 am in India. Everyone will be able to witness the launch through the special OnePlus cardboard...
I am an Mechanical Engg .. Should I have an certification courses for JAVA Ruby and Python for becoming an software testing and development engineer?