Microsoft Latest Campus Placement Papers 2011 & Solutions

A friend forwarded me these Microsoft placement papers. Some have solutions, some don't. If you have difficulty solving them. Ask it here.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hey, It is really surprising that these companies are coming to us. I could't believe that initially. What do you think could be the job profile offered by these people?
  • pinki_seetu
    pinki_seetu
    hello any one tell me how to solve this problem

You have to design a desktop manager. There are n windows that can be open at the same time. For each window we are storing the 2 opposite corner coordinates and the z-index of the window. In case of overlapping windows, the window with a higher z-index comes above the second, and the window on the top has the highest z-index. Whenever a window needs to be brought onto the top, its z-index is allotted as max(z-index)+1.
    Design data structure to present the above problem and to implement the following operations:
    1. Hit testing: You click at a point (x,y), choose all the windows in which this point lies and return the top most windows amongst the selected windows. Very frequent and critical.
    2. Raise the window. Very frequent and critical
    3. Resize the top window Frequent operation.
    4. Add a new window. Infrequent operation
    5. Remove a window. Infrequent operation
    Write the complexity of implementing operation a-e. Also explain the algo for operations a and b.

this is microsoft question
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    pinki_seetu
    hello any one tell me how to solve this problem

You have to design a desktop manager. There are n windows that can be open at the same time. For each window we are storing the 2 opposite corner coordinates and the z-index of the window. In case of overlapping windows, the window with a higher z-index comes above the second, and the window on the top has the highest z-index. Whenever a window needs to be brought onto the top, its z-index is allotted as max(z-index)+1.
    Design data structure to present the above problem and to implement the following operations:
    1. Hit testing: You click at a point (x,y), choose all the windows in which this point lies and return the top most windows amongst the selected windows. Very frequent and critical.
    2. Raise the window. Very frequent and critical
    3. Resize the top window Frequent operation.
    4. Add a new window. Infrequent operation
    5. Remove a window. Infrequent operation
    Write the complexity of implementing operation a-e. Also explain the algo for operations a and b.

this is microsoft question
    I am giving u directions, so that u can solve this question yourself 😒
    The question is pretty straightforward.😀 The first thing u have to do is to decide upon the data structure for the given problem, for example u could use an array of objects as the data structure, but then, u also have to consider about the time complexity etc. and then decide which data structure is best.
    Then u have to implement all operations one by one,
    Those operations which are frequent and critical, should have less execution time and proper exception handling. The procedure u need to do is given in question itself,
    After implementing operations u need to write complexity, so do explain time as well as space complexity of different operations that u do implement.
    😀.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The recent news about Muammar Gaddafi's death came as a shocker. Well, not very shocking because with NATO conspiring and Gaddafi going against America.. it was to be expected sooner...
Hi ppl I want to store a image on database and i am using php to upload and retrieve the data and MySql. I dont have any idea how to...
Hi all I am a math lover. This is introduction to my blog: < Advertisement Removed By Administrator > This blog is a hub of CONCEPTUAL problems (of course it...
All CAT 2011 takers should note the important CAT 2011 dates for exam and results as follows - CAT 2011 Exam Dates: Saturday, 22 October 2011 Till Friday, 18 November...
Hi all, This is Ravisankar Vemuri. Even though I have done MBA,Electronics and Comm' grads, I fell in love with Math. Math is my passion. Teaching Math is my hobby....