Microsoft Joins Augmented Reality Game - Reveals Wireless HoloLens Specs

Though much has been said and written about Microsoft’s HoloLens, some specifications about it have been revealed for the first time at an event in Tel Aviv. In a nutshell, HoloLens is not entirely an augmented reality gear yet, but a big step towards it. Microsoft is probably the last of the tech giants to announce an augmented reality venture, but the HoloLens demos and specs are on par with industry progress. It will be entirely wireless, and a single charge can deliver up to 5.5 hours of 3D experience.

microsoft-wireless-hololens

Any universal Windows 10 native app will be compatible with the HoloLens, so till developers come up with cool apps and games, basic functions like mail and video calling capabilities are already available. The HoloLens communicates via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and as it doesn’t come equipped with a cable, all functions depend on a good internet connectivity.

The most compelling aspect of augmented reality devices is the immersive nature, based on which the 3D experience can be rated. In HoloLens, Microsoft has limited the view to a 15-inch screen that hovers at about 2 feet away from the wearer. The battery life is not all that great, but it might do the trick for now because there are no power-draining intense applications available. While they are being developed, Microsoft will have time to improve the battery life, and might even look into wireless charging. The view also will certainly widen as the device matures.

No official release date has been announced yet, but the developer edition of the HoloLens will be available soon, and is priced at $3000. This is very steep considering the limited field of view and battery life, but it is a promising avenue for developers. By the time it is available to consumers, Microsoft will have to rethink the price because Google Treats VR Right - Forms New Division To Battle Facebook Oculus can afford to be very competitive.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Holding a MCA degree from Nagpur University, Jayanti Kathale came to Bangalore in 2004 to work for Bristlecone. Always in pursuit of implementing her business ideas, Jayanti started selling home...
Hello, I have done my bachelor degree in engineering. Now I feel need MS degree also. Currently i'm xyz MNC. I want to continue with job and completed my Degree...
What is UTF-8?
Fixstars, based in Japan, has announced a monster SSD-13000M priced at USD 13,000 or you can say around 1$ per gigabyte. The 13 TB in 2.5” solid state drive saves...
We're doing a survey throughout India to estimate the importance of MW/SW services of All India Radio(aakashvani). As the technology is improving, people are now listening more to FM on...