Microsoft Edge Ain't Going Open Source

Microsoft's recently announced web browser, 'Microsoft Edge : Top Features That Matter' ain't going open source anytime soon, informed Microsoft through an official #-Link-Snipped-# page. Given Microsoft's new found love for the open source community, that also hints at making Windows 10 open source in future, a lot of users expected the Edge browser to be released with open sourc license. Microsoft clarified its stand by stating that Microsoft Edge or its platform components are not being made open sourced.

Under the leadership of Satya Nadella, Microsoft's taking initiatives which were not expected from Microsoft. Microsoft's transforming into a Is Microsoft 'Cool' Again? and has already announced that they'll offer Windows 10 free of cost to all the devices that have displays smaller than 9". Microsoft also announced that New Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Hardware Can Run Windows 10; Priced $35 Only, the favorite hardware of the DIY community would get to run Windows 10 free of cost. Open Source Software would mean that Microsoft will have to make the source code of the Edge browser open to modification to all.

Given Microsoft's history as the creator of proprietary technology for decades now, Microsoft's plan not to open source Edge shouldn't be a surprise. However, there's definitely a big change in Microsoft's approach towards open source world. It was indeed a big surprise when Microsoft showed willingness to let its core technologies like Open Source Visual Studio & Dot Net - What's Your Take On That? go open source.

Microsoft-Edge-Open-Source

Do let us know your thoughts on whether Edge should go open source. What benefits do you think Microsoft can avail by taking that step?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, Google Chrome isn't entirely open source either. I guess MS is will open source a portion of it at some point in the future after internal feedback and they made something stable.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OPPO has kept mum about its new smartphone OPPO R7 for a while now. There have been number of leaks and rumours about the phone, however none of it went...
I've been following the drama that's unfolding at Housing.com. Yesterday, Rahul Yadav resigned from the position of CEO, Chairman and Board seat stating that he does not want to waste...
Huge amount of money, time and human efforts are being spent on colonising Mars. While we may be years away from actually having humans form colony on Mars, I've always...
hi, can anyone share me idea of latest computation technique in computing blower rating to be used in sequencing batch reactor process?thank you
Which is better ? QTP, ETL or Selenium for Manual Tester