Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate - What detriment/hazards to Production Plant Assets?

During the production processes of Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI - all three isomers) - what are the inherent hazards one might need to consider to the detriment of the production plant's assets (I am not concerned about personnel safety matters - I understand the non benign nature of MDI)?

In other words what are the main corrosive / other effects due to the WHOLE production process on metallurgical / other assets (structure / tanks / piping etc)?

Are special alloys required during new build plant construction?

Are special Hazards involved - likelihood of explosion / corrosive leakages etc?

What should a Techical Integrity Assurance Manager look out for in particular during the construction of a new MDI plant?

Thank you for your consideration.

Replies

• Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Re: Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate - What detriment/hazards to Production Plant Asse

I would think that stainless steel is out of the question. You would need to check your material balances for each stage of the process and work with the metallurgists to check the hazards at each node; it would be risky to assume a blanket hazard for the whole installation.
    I'm not sure why you would be looking for risks in the construction phase while you talk about the design phase in your primary question. Construction methodology applies irrespective of the type of installation. Whenever you deal with hydrocarbons there is a likelihood of fire/explosion. Just follow your HAZOP criteria closely: changes in temperature/composition/flow/pressure/levels/reverse flow/pH/conductivity/static/radiation etc. There is a whole list of things to check. Then do this for each and every node. HAZOPS can take months to complete...it is not easy and it can be tedious and laborious. This is where these questions are addressed. But before you get there you need to do the design. Forget about construction.
  • pwl
    pwl
    Re: Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate - What detriment/hazards to Production Plant Asse

Voltaire - thank you

I have sent you a private email through this site's system - hope you get - its basically a thank you and explanation behind my question - cheers
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire

You are welcome
    Remember this bit of advice: pick something you are good at and stick with that. The more you practice the better you get

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mozilla has just released the latest beta of its popular web browser 'Firefox'. The latest beta has improved performance, HTML5 audio capabilities (
Looks like there are few IE fans who just can't wait for September 15th. The leaked video reveals a lot - [video=youtube;g4QPxbubSug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4QPxbubSug[/video]
Official Website: https://gaming.mozillalabs.com/ Mozilla Labs Gaming is launching our first ever international gaming competition: Game On 2010. Game On is all about games built, delivered and played on the Open...
Hi freinds, thus us chandrakant prasad from Kolkata, West Bengal. Anyone from WBUT? Thank you
Please post the latest news in the technology and engineering industry in this section. Let's discuss all of it here.