Metamorphosis – Transition From Being A Student To A Corporate [Part I]

Part 1 – What is it really all about?

It’s been only a couple of years since I completed my graduation from one of the best engineering institutes in India. Last 2 years, I have been working as an Applications Engineer in one of the world’s leading Software Company. Though the transition from the awesome student life to the more responsible corporate life is not yet 100% complete for me but this period has been tremendously instrumental in making me learn several important lessons and at the same time re-instating my belief in values which I have been following so far. Most of this is common sense, but then unfortunately common sense is not so common 😀

The purpose of life is to live a purpose driven life– Richard Leider

This is something I have always believed in and continue to tell everyone I know. It’s very important, super critical to be focussed in life – about what your passions and interests are. Ultimately we can give our best in something only if we enjoy it the most. One of the most stupid questions for example is – which engineering discipline is the best? I mean, come on. What is your definition of best – is it the highest paying job or is it about challenges involved? You have had at least 18 years of life when you’re at this stage. Just look around the world, talk with the engineers you know and ask them about their work and if you’ve the logical bend of mind to become an engineer, decide what gives you the maximum kick. The correct question to ask is – OK, I want to be an XYZ engineer in future, which institute would be best for me.

[​IMG]Living a focussed and purpose driven life and achieving the objectives set by one self would give you happiness, like none other. However, it is also essential to be spontaneous at times and to go with the flow, but the time for that should come much later and after you’ve achieved something that you’re proud of. You are simply not allowed to be on the pursuit of happiness unless you’re absolutely sure what makes you happy.

I have no time to do the stuff I did some time back– Many human beings

Extracurricular activities. Why is it that this term ceases to lose its importance once we exit the student phase of our life? Many of us say, oh yes I played this and I did that during college, but now I don’t have the time. We all blame it on the busy corporate life, don’t we? It’s really ridiculous how many of us do all these things only to get some bullet points on our resume and then conveniently ditch them once we migrate to that afterlife, which Chris Gardener would aptly describe as – this part of my life, this very part is what I call “making money”. Why do we let someone high up the corporate ladder dictate as to how we should spend our non working-time? As long as we give our 100% within the working hours, devoting even an hour above that (unless it’s a really bad emergency or something for which you are responsible for) is an insult to your own sense of individuality.

So keep continuing to pack your bags for that vacation after every 3-4 months, don’t stop playing your favorite sport, don’t discontinue your hobbies or spend less time in doing what you like to do - throughout your life. Because ultimately, life is all about having life experiences. The more myriad and superlative the experiences one has, the richer he/she is as an individual. Money is important, yes, but please don’t waste your youth running after that promotion / hike and slogging like bulls in corporate life.

As far as I remember, computer games got me pulled in hook line and sinker in love with computers, and then subsequently with technology. And with the help of support from my parents, friends and teachers, along with some effort of mine, without compromising my other personal interests of course, I think I am able to do what I want. But there are so many other things to do – that 24 hours is just too less. Here’s some engineering food for thought. Somebody told me that if I am able to build a hypothetical magnetic field generator large enough to oppose earth’s magnetic field (caused by the molten lava beneath?), thereby reducing the torque which is forcing earth to complete one rotation around its axis in 24 hours, maybe then the day will become longer and I will have more time. I will leave you with this to ponder if this really is the solution to my problem or not, or it leaves things unchanged. What do you think? Adios, till next time.

This article is a guest contribution by CEan Suyash Joshi, a metallurgical and materials engineer from VNIT Nagpur, currently working with ORACLE India. Suyash is a hardcore cricket, gaming fan and adores reading more than just a hobby. Suyash blogs at Time of your life

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Established in 2004, the Millennium Technology Prize is already one of the most visible prices in its field. Awarded by the Academy of Finland Technology, a joint foundation of the...
The biggest pain in the a$$ of any administrator/moderators of a popular forum is to continuously remove the SPAM. CrazyEngineers, being a popular destination for thousands of engineers across the...
As the Football fever grips across the internet, Google is on the forefront. Now, if we can’t make it to South Africa for the World Cup, we can at least...
The Unique Identification Authority of India, or the UIDAI, is an agency of the Government of India responsible for implementing the envisioned Multipurpose National Identity Card or Unique Identification card...
Download & share the PDF version of this article with your friends by clicking here. Education system that produces thousands of engineers every year is seriously flawed. It never prepares...