memory management concept

hi,

it is impossible to check absolute memory address at compile time to assure protection in terms of memory management.

What does absolute memory address actually mean? can a memory address be relative? kindly enlighten

regards,
proffy

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    First of all, yes! A memory address can be absolute or relative.
    An absolute address is a fixed address in memory. Whereas a relative address indicates a location by specifying a distance from another location.
    Absolute addresses are also called real addresses or machine addresses.

I think this diagram will be helpful -

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 12.54.12 AM
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    It's not clear what you're asking. What context? Are you writing a graphical app (mouse, pull-down menus, etc.) on a big popular OS like Windows or Linux? Or are you writing an embedded program like a program in a microcontroller that controls an elevator's lights?

In my embedded world, we often know exactly the maximum RAM address, so we can test any pointer to make sure it's pointing to RAM and not into no-man's land. But programs running on Windows, Linux or Mac don't know what address they will be loaded at ahead of time.

And on top of that, big OSes all use virtual memory mapping, so they can load your program at one physical address while it sees a different virtual address. In fact, if memory is fragmented, the program can be loaded into different pages all over the physical address space, but the program will see them all in sequence.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends, I would like to inquire if defragmentation process results in extra disk free space or in reduced disk free space. I mean does defragmentation process creates some free...
Hi everyone ,i am new to this community... I just entered the final year of my B.E.CSE career... As there is discussion going on in my college ,abt the TCS...
How is the structural design of a residential building of 7 floors done right from the beginning with examples. If you have all the necessary data, then please mail me...
How is a retaining wall (earth retaining wall) designed? Kindly mail me a step by step detailed explanation. regards, gopal
Hello all, I am Anks, newbie here. Hope we all make a healthy company by conservations.