Mechanics of Composite: help needed

I have solved the first portion of the problem. but i couldn't solve the second portion.
For first portion: I found the following results-
moisture concetration (composite)=0.0194 kg/kg
max. mass of water that lamina can absorb= 0.12gm
I need help on the solution for the second portion.
It's from the book: Mechanics of Composite Materials (A. KAW) 2nd edition

[​IMG]

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Ok, we will make an attempt to solve this.

We do not know what are the factors or properties that the tables give information about for the Epoxy and Glass.

However it is given that the ratio of volume for glass to epoxy is 60%,

Hence, g/e = 0.6

g = ( 0.6 ) e

Total Volume = g + e

= 0.6 e + e

= 1.6 e

Hence,
    1.6 e = 125 x 10 x 0.0125

e = 15.625 cm^3

Hence the Volume occupied by the Epoxy is 15.625 cm^3.

As the problem statement data, the change in volume of the Lamina will be caused only due to the exapnsion in the Epoxy as glass does not absorb the moisture.

It is given that the coefficient of expansion for the moisture is the same for the thickness as well as the transverse directions.

Therefore, dx = dy = dz ( if the coefficient has no units)

This is the condition for the calculation of the change in volume.

We need some relation or data for the density or weight to volume ratio for the epoxy. Is there any such informattion in the tables you mentioned.

You have mentioned that the moisture absorbed is only 8% of the weight of the epoxy and is calcualted to be 0.12 gm

The volume change will be,

V+dV = (125+dx) x (10+dy) x (0.0125+dz)

But as, dx = dy = dz, the change in volume will be dx.dy.dz

= (dx)^3

Therefore if the weight to volume ratio for epoxy is given in the properties table then the change in volume can be calculated.

Or just check the units of the Coefficient Of Expansion of Moisture, is it something per unit volume , if so the answer can be calculated from there by substitutng the condition for volume change that we have worked out above.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, i am studying my b.e aeronautical... i need a quite a few good topics, so that i could successfully prepare and present my presentation...
Any one interested in paper persentation please visit the following site symposium - Powered by CO.CC If you have any query mail me on< It's a good idea to answer...
CEans, Most of us think that it's the Google search engine that always produces the best results. Here's a tool that let's you check the truth. Have a look at...
can u tel me a part which is situated in both car and bike having same type of working and same size and shape....
TEST THE CONVERGENCE OF THE SERIES 1+ 2/1! + 2^2/2! + 2^3/3! +............. show by steps 😒