Mechanical or Electrical Engineering?

Hello, I'm currently a first year engineering student and I have to apply for a stream in a few months for what type of engineering im going into.
I'm thinking either mechanical or electrical engineering but I have no idea which to choose!

I was wondering if anyone (in mech or EE) could offer some points about what they enjoy in their field and the types projects you work on.

I personally enjoy vehicle design (mainly engines and drive train) but im worried that the technology in internal combustion engines is on its way out (new sources of energy rising i.e. electric/hybrid tech)

Thanks for any advice!

NOTE: the main thing diverting me away from mechanical is I'm having this weird thought that electrical engineering is replacing the jobs available for mechanical. I know there's always place for mechanical but I keep thinking its being outsourced

Replies

• Vega
    Vega
    Both these trades (MEch and Electrical) are two of the old trades in engineering and they have their own beauty. They have their own scope. and I personally don't think one type can replace other. Though what I have seen is that the Electrical Engg courses are less in number as compared to Mechanical engg.

I think, you are little too much worried about it. 😀 If I have to say it in a sentence I would say "Go for what you like to do". It's not your stearm that gives you job but YOUR TALENT.
  • darlacooper
    darlacooper
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Both mechanical and electrical have vast career opportunities related to it. It is true that one can̢۪t replace the other as each has its own importance. Have a look at this [/FONT]#-Link-Snipped-#[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to know more about the job prospects with various engineering fields.[/FONT]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A full audit of the payroll of Somi Impianti, a contractor on the Staythorpe project, determined that fewer than 25 of their 400 employees were paid less than NAECI rates....
Can anyone explain me the whole procedure how the online payment of goods takes place through internet? If i want to provide this feature in my website.What are steps for...
Government told the Supreme Court that it decided to De-recognize 44 Deemed Universities in the country on charges that they were being run as an organizations, owned or controlled by...
I want to make a php based forum for my final year project can anybody provide me the source code related resource on web . thaks in advance ... Happy...
I have an B.E project on biometrics Fingerprint Recognition System I know its very common but it is assigned to me by college (so can't help it there) Thing is...