Mechanical lift mechanism?

I was very interested in making a small lift mechanism to lift no more thqn 5lbs, the objective is for a car customization involving a GPS. I would like to be able to have the device be able to lift the GPS straight up no more than 6-7" and then go back down in reponse to an on/off switch if possible if not than an up/down switch.

Very newb here didnt know where else to check please help!!!!

Thanks.

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    What about a small hydraulic circuit and a hydraulic piston cylinder arrangement which can push a platform mounting the GPS on it when lifting is needed. And the same can be used to release the pressure when the GPS is to be lowered to its case/stand.
    The pressure applied can be calculated in accordance to the weight of the system that is to be lifted and the height to which it is lifted.
    Being installed in a custom made car we need to be compact and implement a method accordingly.
  • ronvieky
    ronvieky
    You need to give more details, regarding the profile of the GPS system. Things like- dimensions, weight, outer body material- metal or plastic, etc. N stuff like that.

A hydraulic mechanism at the back of a car? Doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking more of a small motor n gear mechanism or something. Send me the dimensions, and where- or which part of the car you want to fit the GPS. How big is the place where you want to keep this arrangement in the car. A rough idea should be enough.
  • EastCoastRx8
    EastCoastRx8
    ronvieky
    You need to give more details, regarding the profile of the GPS system. Things like- dimensions, weight, outer body material- metal or plastic, etc. N stuff like that.

A hydraulic mechanism at the back of a car? Doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking more of a small motor n gear mechanism or something. Send me the dimensions, and where- or which part of the car you want to fit the GPS. How big is the place where you want to keep this arrangement in the car. A rough idea should be enough.
    The mechanism including the monitor attached to it must be no higher than roughly 6-8" in height. The gps is approx 4"H x 6"W x 1" in thickness. The item will be placed under the front dashboard and that is why there is limited space. It must be lift approx 5-6" up. Budget for project = loooow lol. Gps weighs about 2-3lbs.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Hey Ron, I had this idea of using a small motor coupled to a gear which can drive a vertical rack. This Rack can be attatched to the base or platform on which the GPS will be mounted.

The motor power can be calculated from the weight of the GPS system ie around 2.5 kg as mentioned, this along with the weight of the platform and other components forms the total weight to be lifted. The maximum height /lift is around 6". With this we can fix the motor capacity.

The system can be placed under the dashboard and can even make it sliding one ie it slides under the dashboard when not in use.

The Rack will lift the platform to the desired height bringing the monitor to a position from where it can be read from. The gear teeth, rack , module etc can be calculated by fiixng the rpm of the gear which will be quite small in this case.

Another way would be simply using a motor driving a link to lift a folding cross lift on which the GPS would be mounted. Again the total weight of the components will decide the motor specifications.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Use a Motor Mechanism mate...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​On a roll of late, aren't we AMD? Just when you thought the fun was slowing over in Taiwan, in flies this: the world's first official DirectX 11-friendly GPU demonstration....
ok,, I have seomthing of this format this represents my node format, and I have another structure defined within this struture and say one of the declarations of the structure...
Hi all, Yesterday I was going through some stuff and found that behavior of floating point numbers in most of the programming languages is platform dependent at times. Is there...
Hey, hi to all, Just want to know from my fellow Mechanical Engineers, How do you bridge the gap between Thoery and Practice? What do you do on the Job,...
A lawyer's son finishes his law degree and gets a job in the same court where his father has been working over many years. On the very first day in...