Mechanical Advantage of Gear

IS IT POSSIBLE TO INCREASE THE MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE OF TWO MATING SPUR GEAR TRAIN BY NOT CHANGING THEIR SIZE AND GEOMETRY

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    PRAD CHAKRABORTY
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO INCREASE THE MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE OF TWO MATING SPUR GEAR TRAIN BY NOT CHANGING THEIR SIZE AND GEOMETRY
    You have to stop using all CAPS.
    The mechanical advantage is the ratio of the number of teeth on the two. So you cannot change it unless this ratio is changed. The power transferred relates to the size of the gears. To transmit higher power bigger sized gears will be needed.
  • rajarshi vikram singh
    rajarshi vikram singh
    But sir regarding power,as we all know it is multiplication of torque and angular velocity,I think lower sized gears will transfer more power as they can rotate easily for same torque.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    rajarshi vikram singh
    lower sized gears will transfer more power as they can rotate easily for same torque.
    For the same angular velocity transferring more power increases the torque, which needs a larger dia shaft and gear.

See under spur and helical gear design section here:
    Rules of Thumb for Mechanical Engineers - J. Edward Pope - Google Books

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google Fiber is tying up with Indian Railways for a new project, named 'Project Nilgiri' to create free wi-fi zones at about 400 railway stations pan India. The phase-I of...
Rahul Yadav is setting up a new startup in the data analytics and visualization domain, I'm reading on multiple resources on the Internet. The startup, which has not been announced...
Co-founded by Sonny Vu, Sridhar Iyengar and John Sculley (Former Apple CEO), Misfit is the hardware company that has been steadily launching wearables and smart home devices since 2013. At...
I am planning to purchase a cool laptop skin/decal. I would like to know from anyone who have ever used it before, that whether using it damages the original plastic...
How many of us who are into or want to pursue Industrial Engineering, have little or NO idea what its about? I graduated with a Masters in IE (here's my...