Maths is considered as most difficult subject?

In my opinion people think that mathematics is the most difficult subject!! I have made an research about that what is the reason behind their thinking and I found that their basics are not so good as most of the people thought only about how to solve the problem and don't try to understand the logic behind it and most of the teachers also don't take much interest in explaining the students in simpler and different way and that's why the student feel bored in understanding it .I would love to hear suggestions from you also.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mathematics is difficult because it's taught in a boring way. In my opinion, unless one understands the application of mathematics; learning the theory is entirely boring. I mean, first tell people why integration is required and then tell them how integration solves problems.

Same applies to basic mathematics. Tell the kids importance of fractions and they'll love it!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ya,
    its depend on how it will be taught.Well I see your questions they are good, I started to solve it because I was getting boared and needed some brain work πŸ˜‰.

In my views history is most boaring and difficult subject , I mean why should I remember all those dates and everything happened centuries ago. Its ok, to read it but to remember itπŸ˜• .

PS: Well see question no 11, options A and D are same.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Mathematics is a lot more interesting than you can possibly imagine. "Ganit" as I all it is based on four major principles. They are Beriz or addition, Vaza or subtraction, Gunakar or multiplication and Bhagakar or division. Then come higher maths like Beej Ganit (Algebra), Bhumiti (Geometry) and Trikonmiti (trigonometry).

Vedic mathematics makes the concepts very easy to understand. πŸ˜€

If taught in a proper way, it is the most interesting topic.

P.S: Trikonmiti is my favorite part of mathematics πŸ‘. But never got hand of binomial theorem πŸ‘€
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Mathematics is the most interesting subject. I had a pretty good experience with it. I still remember, before I started my schooling , I was mad of maths(Its all because of my dad). But when I grow up, my interest drops down.I don't remember where it went wrong. It became horrible during my 1st semester mathematics 1 paper in engineering. I got only 50 marks in my first unit test,36 in my 2nd unit test. Then just 16 in my model exams. My teacher always use of say me" get out of the college, I am not fit for engineering studies and not to waste my parents money". But those words changed something in me. I started working out problems terribly. Referred 7 books, solved all the problems. By solving those problems, I again got interested to maths. One thing I personally like about maths is that the problems can be solved as our wish( don't want to read anything).πŸ‘

P.S. I scored A grade in all the mathematics paperπŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In the early sixties we were using only hand operated mechanical calculators. These can only add. By reversing the rotation we subtract. Multiplication is just shift and add, while division is shift and subtract. In chemical engineering you need square roots all the time. We used the simple mathematics theorem that the sum of the first n odd numbers equals n^2 and got square roots using the mechanical monsters. (e.g. First three odd numbers are 1, 3 and 5. Their sum = 9, which is square of three)
    To multiply by nine one has to rotate the shaft nine times. The mathematically equivalent method is to rotate in reverse once, shift and rotate forward once to get nine times the value with just two rotations.
    Maths is fun.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    In the early sixties we were using only hand operated mechanical calculators. These can only add. By reversing the rotation we subtract. Multilication is just shift and add, while division is shift and subtract. In chemical engineering you need square roots all the time. We used the simple mathematics theorem that the number of the first n odd numbers equals the square root of n and got square roots using the mechanical monsters. (e.g. First three odd numbers are 1, 3 and 5. Their sum = 9, which is square of three)
    To multiply by nine one has to rotate the shaft nine times. The mathematically equivalent method is to rotate in reverse once, shift and rotate forward once to get nine times the value with just two rotations.
    Maths is fun.
    I remember you discussing about Slide rules long time back. Are you referring to slide rule? πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    I remember you discussing about Slide rules long time back. Are you referring to slide rule? πŸ˜€
    Slide rules are analog devices where the scales are arranged proportinal to the logarithm of numbers. When you added two lengths the result is the sum of logarithms and so you get the product as answer. What I am talking about are the so called adding machines.
    I was actually using this machine in IIT Madras. It was called Brunsviga. It was the latest German model. IIT Madras was with German aid.

[​IMG]
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Awesome.... never knew this type of calculator.
    fully mechanical.πŸ‘
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir: Amazing, but it was not so much popular I guess!
    Want to try it out πŸ˜€ Simply mechanical πŸ‘
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir: Amazing, but it was not so much popular I guess!
    Want to try it out πŸ˜€ Simply mechanical πŸ‘
    That particular model had a twenty digit accuracy. I could do close to 500 additions per minute. Every department had many of these. Slide rules could never match the accuracy.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    20 digit accuracy is simply marvelous. More fascinating is "500 additions per minute"?β˜• Do we normally require it? What sort of problems require that much processing power from a manual device?

I usually solve, machine design, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, heat transfer etc problems prescribed in the university syllabus on my calculator.

I have Casio ES calculator and the accuracy is up to 10 decimals. The only advantage is ease of calculation. It however takes *Significant* time in solving complex calculations involving integration, derivatives etc.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    Mathematics is difficult because it's taught in a boring way. In my opinion, unless one understands the application of mathematics; learning the theory is entirely boring. I mean, first tell people why integration is required and then tell them how integration solves problems.

Same applies to basic mathematics. Tell the kids importance of fractions and they'll love it!
    One good thing I do in my semester holidays is that, I teach vedic maths and some simple tricks to solve maths problem to students doing their schooling for free of cost, mainly, below poverty line. I always try to build up their interest towards maths, sometimes I have got success, many times failer. Things apart I personally get happy in doing such work.πŸ˜€
    Is any other CE-ans do similar work? ( so that I can try to implement that too)πŸ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    aarthivg
    One good thing I do in my semester holidays is that, I teach vedic maths and some simple tricks to solve maths problem to students doing their schooling for free of cost, mainly, below poverty line. I always try to build up their interest towards maths, sometimes I have got success, many times failer. Things apart I personally get happy in doing such work.πŸ˜€
    Is any other CE-ans do similar work? ( so that I can try to implement that too)πŸ˜€
    That's a wonderful thing. #-Link-Snipped-# Why don't you start some Vedic maths related threads in Puzzles section? It will help everyone brush-up their knowledge and learn something new πŸ˜€
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Issue
    That's a wonderful thing. #-Link-Snipped-# Why don't you start some Vedic maths related threads in Puzzles section? It will help everyone brush-up their knowledge and learn something new πŸ˜€
    At present, My exams are around me😲 . It will take a month to get over.πŸ˜”
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Mathematics, for me is a fantasy. Never got bored or afraid of Maths. Not to mention how weak I was in my primary stages and how dad turned me up. He used to sit and made me solve each and every example and each and every question before the exam till midnight. He is quite strict and at that time I used to get a slap or two for solving it in wrong way again and again πŸ˜› Well, what parents do they do for our good. I understood this when I got into my 6th standard. I know it was due to the hardwork of my dad during my primary stages that my maths percentage right from 6th standard to Btech never went below 95. As said earlier, yes Maths hold its root in the basics.
    I know my case looks a lot like forcing to study but that was the time when I took maths seriously. And more or less, my dad turned my interest towards maths. πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    20 digit accuracy is simply marvelous. More fascinating is "500 additions per minute"?β˜• Do we normally require it? What sort of problems require that much processing power from a manual device?
    You should remember that multiplication with a manual device is repeated addition. If you have to multiply two ten digit numbers with large value digits you may end up spinning the shaft fifty to sixty times to do just one product. In many engineering calculations you have many terms in the numerator and denominator requiring quite a bit of spinning the shaft both forward and reverse for a simple multioperation calculation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Popular blog on startups, Pluggd.in published an interesting article today describing Wikipedia's report on Indian Students. It says "Plagiarism and Copyright Violation are the major challenges among Indian students". During...
my name is kemi and i am from Ogun state in Nigeria,i av my Higher national diploma in electrical/electronics engineering.i am currently doing my national youth service corps,i love reading,making...
Hello,​ ​ ​ ​I work for Raw TV, a multi award winning television production company - we're the makers of hit show Gold Rush on Discovery. We are currently developing...
The small instruction manual that accompanies every new fan in its packaging , has the caution on it which goes like "ensure full tightening of bolts and nuts with the...
Check out this funny video tracing the term nerd through history and how it is influencing engineering: