mathematics area of curve

plz help me to find the common area of following two curves
R=a
R=2acos@
This is eqn of circle in polar form. I tried but couldnt figure out the solution

Replies

• simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Show us your work buddy..
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    In polar form put r=under root x2+y2 and tan@ is y/x
    so the required eqn are
    x2+ y2=a2
    (x-a)2+y2=a2
    so now we can draw two circles
    the required area will be 2(area of upper curve -lower curve)
    the upper curve is second circle nd lower curve is first one.
    I took Limit of integrtn as 0 to a/2
    but I dont get the answer.
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    I changed the limit for half the curve frm 0 to a/2 and then frm a/2 to a
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I will give you a hint here, draw the figure on paper and see whether you have correct limits.
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    I did that
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Can you put a pic that might show how did you get those limits?
    How did you come with limits from a/2 to a and other stuff?
    What is the center of the two circles. If you can get this right then only we are on correct path.
    Did you try to find the second integral limits?
    What co-ordinate system did you choose? what is the second integral?

Think about it conceptually and not something to solve and match the answer.
    BTW if you have the final answer, then post that too, so that when I finally explain there wouldnt be any issues as there are multiple equivalent forms of same answer.
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    as the equation is in polar form so first convert it to cartesian co ordinates . As i have explained previously. So the centres comes out to be 0,0 and a,0. And radius for both are a . Now when we draw both circles intersect on x axis . So that point is a/2 ,0.
    Now you tell me what to do now.
    This is gates question. Answer is 1.77 a2.
  • I_am_Kunal :)
    I_am_Kunal :)
    RVignesh
    as the equation is in polar form so first convert it to cartesian co ordinates . As i have explained previously. So the centres comes out to be 0,0 and a,0. And radius for both are a . Now when we draw both circles intersect on x axis . So that point is a/2 ,0.
    Now you tell me what to do now.
    This is gates question. Answer is 1.77 a2.
    The circles do not intersect on the x-axis. You are right about the centers. But you should recheck the points of intersections. The circles intersect at two points. X co-ordinate of both of which is a/2. Y co-ordinate is not 0.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Logically think about it.
    Since we are interested in polar co-ordinates, we only want to know more in terms of @ and a.
    So you got a (Though I think its incorrect) Now search for limits in terms of @.

Then double integrate, still if you dont get, I shall upload the answer tomorrow.

Also I donot agree with your answer and so if there is any method along it, post that aswell. I am getting 1.228(a^2). How?? Will let you know by tomorrow.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    This is a rough sketch of what your graph should look like.
    Solve for @ and you get that it intersects in two points pi/3 and -pi/3.
    The red area is from (@=-pi/3 to pi/3) and (r=0 to a).
    The blue area follows the r=2cos@ circle.
    And there are two such of them. So no integrate
    I(r=0 to a , @=-pi/3 to pi/3)rdrd@ ................................(1)
    2*I(r=0 to cos2@ , @=pi/3 to pi/2)rdrd@ ................................(2)

Add both the integrals, you would get the answer.
    doubleInt
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    yeah, that's interesting.........
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    RVignesh
    ya the circles do not intersect on x axis .

hope you understand that, or do you need further explanations

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"When you are up in life, your friends get to know who you are. But when you are down in life, you get to know who your friends are".They say...
Hi , This is my bot designed for combat but i need to work on weapons for destroying the enemy bots....
I been watching documentry of Stephen Hawkings on Discovery that with higher speed we can slowdown time for us. But question is can we go to past. For ex: suppose...
How do i practice for questions quickly for the good time management? I need some tips guys so that i can crack companies tests 😉. I heard infosys, cognizant, wipro...
Flipkart has not doubt set standards for the Indian eCommerce. Flipkart is growing at a rapid rate and ships over 30k items every single day! No doubt, the venture capitalists...