Master Control in Trains

If anybody of you has seen the drivers cabin of a suburban train or an Electric AC/DC engine of a Locomotive, then you can see the two levers on top of the vertical spindle which the driver rotates to actually dirvwe the train. This is called the Master Control That is used to control the speed and do braking ( one for each).

Any one ha got any idea about how this system actually works and how is it designed to synchronise with the high voltage motors nad the vaacuum braking system usually found in such locos.

Any insight is appreciated.

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    even i'd like to know this..anyone??
  • gohm
    gohm
    would it be an electronic speed control? Thus work by controling and adjusting the electrical flow? many trains now are controlled by a central command center and the driver primarily acts as a safety backup and opening/closing of the doors.
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    In the company i work, we have diesel-electric locomotives, and the brakes are of the compressed air type, form wikipedia: Railway Air Brake
    The way to control it is to control the compressor located in the locomotive, what you really do is control a valve wich release the air to the atmosphere like the article explain.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I don't mean Software Engineering as in the 'subject'. I mean Software Engineering to include all of the following topics (and much more): * Programming * Object Oriented Analysis &...
Hi guys; sorry for posting after a long time as my exams are going. I want a technical description of anything latest for my college's Technical Society.It can be related...
How to improve the efficiency of an ic engine?😀
Can you give me a figure for Power Steering?
I'm amazed to see that when an autorun file is deleted from pendrive(usually containing virus info) it gets recovered automatically. I want to know that why does this happen and...