Marine Engineering - Super Eco Speed

Hello,

I am a shipmaster, and during my carier tried to learn as much as possible about marine diesel engines, as this makes my life very much easier, and also easier for my chief engineers - by not putting them in impossible situations.
In the recent world economic crises twe owners are putting shipmasters and vessels in new situation asking to reduce the speed for which the largest engines in the world have not been designed.
The subsequent consequences for exploatation of such engines in such a way are not known.

A question for marine engineers:
Large container vsls designed for speeds of up to 25-26 knots, and B&W engines of 75.000 HP to 90.000 HP (10 or 12 cylinders).
Max rpm 104 / 26 kts
Eco rpm: 80-84 rpm / 20 kts
The recent trend is to reduce speed to some 14 to 16 knots, which actually is manouvering speed. (60-65 rpm, with blowers running)

The question:
1. What is the long term effect on main engine?
2. Once per day running on full navigation speed - can this help?
3. Any other comment or advice.

In case any additional info is needed, I will be very glad to post it.

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Jolly,

What makes you think the engines are not designed for manouvering speed? As long as minimum specs for the engine operation (lubrication, cooling, etc) are being met your biggest effect will be erduced wear & reduced fuel comsumption this of course assumes the fuel calculations have been done. however trip duration will be greatly increased and also have effects on hull maintenance. These costs could outweigh any savings from fuel & engine maintenance.
  • jolly
    jolly
    What makes me think there may be problems with reduced speed is several factors.

1) Those are the biggest engines in the world designed for continous speeds with load 60% to 100%. Running them below that rate and consequences may be costly.

2) reaction of my chief engineers is not favourable one.

3) Efforts from some makers to produce a kit to equip the engine for slower speeds. There must be a reason for this.
  • abhaysbhonge
    abhaysbhonge
    jolly
    Hello,

I am a shipmaster, and during my carier tried to learn as much as possible about marine diesel engines, as this makes my life very much easier, and also easier for my chief engineers - by not putting them in impossible situations.
    In the recent world economic crises twe owners are putting shipmasters and vessels in new situation asking to reduce the speed for which the largest engines in the world have not been designed.
    The subsequent consequences for exploatation of such engines in such a way are not known.

A question for marine engineers:
    Large container vsls designed for speeds of up to 25-26 knots, and B&W engines of 75.000 HP to 90.000 HP (10 or 12 cylinders).
    Max rpm 104 / 26 kts
    Eco rpm: 80-84 rpm / 20 kts
    The recent trend is to reduce speed to some 14 to 16 knots, which actually is manouvering speed. (60-65 rpm, with blowers running)

The question:
    1. What is the long term effect on main engine?
    2. Once per day running on full navigation speed - can this help?
    3. Any other comment or advice.

In case any additional info is needed, I will be very glad to post it.
    -The long term effect is definitely not good but as a immediate soultion to downturn in economy this is the best option.
    -Running once per day at full speed will definitely help to reduce the deposits as higer scavenger air pressure more than 1 bar is needed to blow off the deposits and left overs from the combustion.
    -The ships were designed with high speed and high power engines when the container market was booming and at peak. The situation is totally reveresed demanding reduced operating costs and this is the best way. This will allow ship owners to just manage to breakeven.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please suggest me minor project in mchnical branch prefably under thermo or strength of material ,fluid mechnics
Hi Guys, this ques. may be a very familiar puzzle for some but for the others here it goes.... What occurs twice in a lifetime, but once in every year....
Imagine a girl has a magic basket and the rule is that once something is dropped into it, it doubles the number and once something has been withdrawn, the left...
I have made a project in dotnet on online movie rental on the lines of movie mart website I have my presentation on that and viva Can you please post...
hi this video will help you to understand the basics of DBMS [youtube]EUzsy3W4I0g&feature=related[/youtube]