Map a Network Drive on Windows OS

Hey guys, Below is a detailed information about network drives and how to create them on windows operating system.

Network drive is a feature of windows operating system which serves the basic purpose of file sharing over a local area network. A network drive can be said to be an extended implementation of workgroups on LAN or a smaller version of a simple FTP architecture. It allows you to transfer/access files remotely stored on some other system on the local network just like it was on your own. Not only feel, you can see a new drive icon just like logical drive of the system, the only difference is, the drive is on some other system. This is a detailed guide step-wise on how to create Network Drives.

Step 1: Right click on the drive/ folder you want to share - properties - sharing tab - advanced sharing - check the box saying share this folder - enter a share name there - ok - ok
Step 2: Then in command prompt enter:

net use \\Share-PC\sharename

• here drive alphabet means some characted which is not assigned to any drive currently, say p or x.
  • Share-pc is the name of your pc
  • sharename is the name you entered in the advanced sharing box
Step 3: Go to the remote client where you want to access the drive and open CMD
Step 4: Type in the following command
netuse \\Share-PC\sharename
  • here drive alphabet means some characted which is not assigned to any drive currently, say p or x.
  • Share-pc is the name of the pc where the network drive is created
  • sharename is the name that was entered in the advanced sharing box while making the network drive
Step 5: It may prompt for ID and Password. Input the username of the host which was logged in on the pc where the network drive is created.
Password of THAT same username on the pc where network drive is created.
Step 6: Open My Computer. The drive is already waiting for you. If you disconnect from the network, the drive may vanish.

Try it. It is a good utility.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, I am currently working on a project for my software engineering class and there is this idea we built. I will tell about it in detail. Please feel...
frnds,hw cn we derive the equations for L& C in buck& boost converter.
Base OS gets affected by virus, Is it possible that OS in virtual box or vmware getting affected by virus.
If u have document or note send me . or send me link about it.
We have drones for everything But have you imagined a drone that could track mosquitoes Have you imagined laser used to kill Mosquitoe? Imagine both at the same time now...