1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Many reasons why you won't quit your job

Question asked by Ramani Aswath in #Coffee Room on Feb 15, 2012
Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath 路 Feb 15, 2012
Rank A1 - PRO
There are some studies to show why people do not quit jobs they do not like. They continue with this mill stone round their necks. Reasons seem to be many but quite a few are quite not what seems obvious.
This article from Harward Business Review makes interesting reading.
https://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-02-08/news/31037566_1_rat-race-pellet-job

What about engineers? CEans? Posted in: #Coffee Room
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare 路 Feb 15, 2012
Rank A1 - PRO
I think the thread is more suited in our entrepreneurship section 馃榾

By the way, I agree with the author:

You've been conditioned. Scientists know that the best way to train someone to perform a behavior is to reward them for doing so at random intervals.
It's actually like that! Maybe that's why the corporate race is often called as 'The Rat Race' 馃榿. I've several friends who've stuck up to their jobs even when they hate every moment of it. Many have made plans and they're still working on it. It's actual the brain conditioning that makes us do so many things we can do fine without.

For me, I always knew with the savings I had; I'd do fine for a period of 3 years (I was a bachelor then) on my savings. Well, that does not mean I had huge savings. It's just that I kept my expenses *very* low: a strategy that works very well for every newbie/wannabe entrepreneur. 馃榾
Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath 路 Feb 15, 2012
Rank A1 - PRO
I agree. I took a decision very early in life that I will be completely selfish and do what I like doing, whether it pays or not. I do not regret it after more than half a century of it. It did not pay much though. However it is still fun.
bill yorke
bill yorke 路 Jan 28, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

I won't quit my job when I have good job security and prospective platform to continuous increase my exposure

Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla 路 Feb 2, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Great to see this thread. I agree with the author points and in my view the reason why one will not quit the job is situation dependent. If the job role and company environment along with facilities are satisfactory then most of the us will not like to move to the new organisation. And one other reason would be to gain experience, any project will at least last for minimum of 1 year and depending upon the previous experience in projects our new job role depends. Most of us would wish to have minimum experience so we can shift to other organisation that can fetch us as opportunity to explore more and that can also fetch us a bit more salary.聽

bill yorke
bill yorke 路 Feb 2, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

1. Our failures are apparent more than ever. Widespread networking plus high-virality social media. In other words, the information is now circulating rapidly. So if your early stage plan fails, then your mates will learn about it.

2.聽You are suffering from optimisation prematurely. Teresa Amabile and Steven Kramer's The Principle of Progress assert how we can accomplish great results by accumulating small wins.

3.You were made conditioned. Scientists know the perfect way to persuade somebody to conduct a behavior is to reward them at random intervals for doing so.

Swarup Pan
Swarup Pan 路 Feb 2, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

There are so many reasons and they must be very strong ones to take a decision such like that. If you are not happy with your job or you are offered better opportunities other than the current job then you must have some strong motivations and goals determined in your mind and heart to overcome the problems.

If you have some situations with your family or rather some personal issues then you can't change your job against your will.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up