Mangalore University & BARC Develop First Of Its Kind Thoron Mitigation System In India

The presence of radioactive gases such as radon and thoron in the off-gas streams of the Thorium and Uranium Processing Facilities (UPF). Serious questions have been raised about the need for UPF in the near past, especially because development of some of these centres is being delayed for a long time. However, in a recent news, BARC or Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai and Mangalore University have come together and developed a new and simple charcoal-based thoron mitigation system that will find great applications in continuous removal of radion and thoron from from air in industrial workplaces. Finding critical application in the India's nuclear power generation program, the newly developed system is based on high-end technology and it first of its kind in the country.

The research team responsible for this indigenous system led by N Karunakara from the Radioecology Research Lab at the University Science Instrumentation Centre in Mangalore University. Together they designed and fabricated the system with significant help in theoretical calculation and calibration received from BARC. Other than the advantages that the new system has over conventional practices, the thoron mitigation system is also capable of remediation of radon and thoron problem in mining and processing industries, site remediation, and reduction of personal radiation exposures due to radon and thoron.

thoron-mitigation-system-BARC-mangalore

It has become imperative to bring to the notice here that for the last 20 years the radioecology research laboratory from Mangalore University has been involved in extensive research in the radiation protection and radioecology arena. The Mangalore University researchers shall soon begin the work of formally transferring the prototype system to BARC scientists.

What are your thoughts on the continuous removal of harmful radio-active gases and India's nuclear power program? Share with us in comments below.

Source: BARC-Mangalore University develop indigenous thoron mitigation system - Times of India

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Another triumph of human knowledge: The most complete geologic mapping yet of an entirely different planet. Scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey said this week that they've finished humanity's...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? The Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2015 is an entrance exam to be taken by graduate engineers who want to work under...
Quote Google’s founders may have recently downplayed the high tech giant’s healthcare plans. But a new partnership with Novartis, announced Tuesday, shows that Google is pretty serious when it comes...
We've been searching for a payment gateway that can accept credit cards and other forms of payments (especially in India, like net-banking). The best option so far (with my limited...
I've a router with three antenna and I've positioned them as \ | / , thinking that it'd cover a wide area. I was wondering if putting all the three...