Malware can spread using inaudible sound signals - without any network

If you thought disconnecting a computer from all the wired and wireless networks is the ultimate way to protect it from all the malware, you were wrong. Computer engineers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics have developed a new type of malware that can communicate with inaudible sound waves with all the machines in its vicinity. What makes the matters worse is that the computers need not be connected with each other for the malware to communicate to other machines.

All the malware needs is the target machine within 65 ft. But that's not the end of the story. The creators of the malware say that the program is capable of forming an audio mesh and extend its range. The only relief is that the data transmission speeds are currently very low at about 20 bits/second. But given the pace at which the technology is evolving, I'm quite sure that this malware will be able to achieve higher data transmission rates. None of us and our beloved machines are safe anymore.

The malware uses system's built in microphone and speaker systems to communicate. Using audio signals for communication between two systems isn't very new, and has been used for underwater communication.

You may think that 20 bits of data per second is very low; but that's still capable of transferring your password or credit card number to the hacker HQ in a few seconds.

I'm wondering what kind of anti-malware, anti-virus will handle such threats?

Replies

• micheal john
    micheal john
    What was the sole purpose to find this malware ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    micheal john
    What was the sole purpose to find this malware ?
    Curiousity is the mother of all inventions.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Linux FTW!
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you thought disconnecting a computer from all the wired and wireless networks is the ultimate way to protect it from all the malware, you were wrong. Computer engineers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics have developed a new type of malware that can communicate with inaudible sound waves with all the machines in its vicinity. What makes the matters worse is that the computers need not be connected with each other for the malware to communicate to other machines.

All the malware needs is the target machine within 65 ft. But that's not the end of the story. The creators of the malware say that the program is capable of forming an audio mesh and extend its range. The only relief is that the data transmission speeds are currently very low at about 20 bits/second. But given the pace at which the technology is evolving, I'm quite sure that this malware will be able to achieve higher data transmission rates. None of us and our beloved machines are safe anymore.

The malware uses system's built in microphone and speaker systems to communicate. Using audio signals for communication between two systems isn't very new, and has been used for underwater communication.

You may think that 20 bits of data per second is very low; but that's still capable of transferring your password or credit card number to the hacker HQ in a few seconds.

I'm wondering what kind of anti-malware, anti-virus will handle such threats?
    Perhaps keeping the microphone disabled till needed can be a way to protect one's system from this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovebox
    Perhaps keeping the microphone disabled till needed can be a way to protect one's system from this.
    ...and how difficult would it be to 'enable' it for the malware? With laptops, you don't have much control.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and how difficult would it be to 'enable' it for the malware? With laptops, you don't have much control.
    How about disconnecting the pins from the motherboard?! I know that's a little far fetched.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovebox
    How about disconnecting the pins from the motherboard?! I know that's a little far fetched.
    There sure are ways. But you can't do that with every machine around you. Especially when voice is rapidly becoming an important input to most computing devices.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently I formated my tab (rooted 2 months back) to update to 4.4 kitkat but I failed to update and I update it with 4.3. Is it possible to recover...
I'm wondering if the facility exists in Android out of the box. I'd rather send a special code to my mobile phone via SMS and the phone would automatically disable...
Why sports cars designed the chassis is nearly to ground.I know a little bit I.e., to achieve high speed.But need complete information.
Hi, I am working as a vacation engineer in a gas distribution company in Australia. My supervisor has given me a task of coming up with a disign plan to...
If we know the volumetric flow rates of the water going into the two branches, then what would be the velocity of the water coming out?