Making carrer in software testing for a ece student.

Sir

I am student of electronics & communication . I am interested in IT field.I wanted to make career in software testing but I hve some doubts.

1- Could ECE student (non it background) make career in software testing?

2- What skills are required for it because I am not much aware from any language exept c.

3- How can I start learning software testing? Lots of confusion like only manual or automation also , selenium or qtp.

4- Is there is any certification which any engg required like isqtb or csqa or cstb.

Replies

• Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    Sir/maam
    I am student of electronics & communication (2014). I am interested in IT
    field. I wanted to make career in software testing but I have some doubts.

1- Could ECE student (non it background) make career in software testing?

2- What skills are required for it because I am not much aware from any language except C.

3- How can I start learning software testing? Lots of confusion like only manual
    or automation also , selenium or qtp.

4- Is there is any certification which any engg required like isqtb or csqa or cstb?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. Following are the answers to your questions -

1. Yes, you can make a career in software testing irrespective of your engineering discipline. While most of the companies would accept you there are a few companies that'd recruit only candidates from CS/IT/CE background. So make sure that you check the eligibility criteria before applying for the job.

2. You will need a lot of logic, common sense and ability to evaluate things critically. Everything can be learnt on the job. But to make an entry, you should equip yourself with the knowledge of-
    • Operating Systems
    • Common software tools and programs (Excel, Word etc.)
    • Software testing in general. Watch videos, read books and blogs and participate in discussion forums and gain as much knowledge as you can about software testing. If possible, become an active QA in any of the ongoing open source projects. That'd give your resume a huge boost!
    • Why are you restricting yourself to C? Nothing should stop you from playing with Selenium and teaching yourself PERL programming language.
    3. Start with manual testing. Read about various testing terminologies and concepts like Why is testing required, what is manual and automation testing, what is a bug, what is a bug life cycle, its stages, what are the tools used in testing et al. Take some action than sitting idle and confused. The following discussion on CrazyEngineers might be a very good starting Point: Software (Manual) Testing Interview questions.

4. ISTQB is one of the popular certifications. Focus on one and get yourself certified if you can. That will be a big step in the right direction.
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    thanks a lot !!! where will i get some study material for starting nd ongoing opensource project for practice..
    & is there is any need to know about sql nd other specific knowledge before start learning testing.? once again thanks for your kind reply ...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd be wrong if I say you don't need SQL. Frankly speaking; you shouldn't bother about knowing everything. Start your studies with Manual Testing and gradually starting picking up things as you feel the need. There might be job where you'll do database testing and knowledge of writing SQL queries would help. There might be a project which will require you to know a bit about php; so you might end up learning php.

Start with manual testing -> progress towards automation testing -> learn and gain mastery over manual testing and any automation tool like Selenium. That should be enough for you to get a job.

Now, we cannot spoon feed you. All we can say is that you should be an active member here and start discussions about various testing concepts, or start sharing your knowledge and asking questions about the things you find difficult to understand. Use Google to find tutorials and websites. There are plenty of them. You may use CrazyEngineers as well; but you won't find ready-made stuff here.
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    ok!! thanks a lot for your advice & i would like to thanx to Ce finally i have got a plateform where i can clear my doubts nd get some genuine expert advice .
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd be wrong if I say you don't need SQL. Frankly speaking; you shouldn't bother about knowing everything. Start your studies with Manual Testing and gradually starting picking up things as you feel the need. There might be job where you'll do database testing and knowledge of writing SQL queries would help. There might be a project which will require you to know a bit about php; so you might end up learning php.

Start with manual testing -> progress towards automation testing -> learn and gain mastery over manual testing and any automation tool like Selenium. That should be enough for you to get a job.

Now, we cannot spoon feed you. All we can say is that you should be an active member here and start discussions about various testing concepts, or start sharing your knowledge and asking questions about the things you find difficult to understand. Use Google to find tutorials and websites. There are plenty of them. You may use CrazyEngineers as well; but you won't find ready-made stuff here.
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    where is the best institute for software testing (
    noida /ncr or banglore )& where will i get better opportunity?? could u suggest any institute?
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    mighty mishra
    where is the best institute for software testing (
    noida /ncr or banglore )& where will i get better opportunity?? could u suggest any institute?
    Better do it in Bangalore. Lot of Opportunities are there. Don't know about NCR/Delhi.
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    queeny.heads
    Better do it in Bangalore. Lot of Opportunities are there. Don't know about NCR/Delhi.
    thanx for your advice . could you recommend any institute??
  • j.mounika
    j.mounika
    I saw ur post.me too from ECE background im nt much aware of programming languages. Im a manual tester of just 3 months of experience and in my office there is no guidance for me to start an automation so please help me how to start an automation and one doubt which institution is best to train me for ISTQB in coimbatore.
  • Shil Patel
    Shil Patel
    hello i'm shil from Gujarat. I'm 2013 pass out from B.E in ECE . i didn't get job in any and i'm worried about my future career bcz m not decided what should i do and which stream to join to get better future. pls give suggestion to which line to join for me.

please give me your best suggestion.
    this is my Email id: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

App Virality was co-founded by Laxman Papineni and Ramakoteshwarrao Papineni in January 2014. A growth hacking toolkit, App Virality can be used for App downloads, Lead generation, Customer retention, User...
Way back in 1998, IBM was the first company to come out with a working carbon nanotube transistor. Now 16 years later, the company has committed to bring out a...
All aboard the deep learning train! Deep Learning is an umbrella term given to a set of machine learning algorithms that are usually derived from neural networks. Neural networks are...
The South Korean giant has taken covers off the Galaxy S5 mini smartphone. Though it was expected that the company would scrimp on sensors to reduce price, the S5 mini...