Making Assumptions

In GRE, as mentioned earlier includes writing an essay analyzing the line of reasoning in an argument.

The first step in tackling these questions are being able to figure out as to what assumption the author has made in the paragraph.
Below are some examples mentioning the assumption the writer has made on some sentences.

1. College sophomore: "I want to be rich someday, so I guess I'll become a business person."
Assumption? All business persons are rich.

2. College Junior: "I don't have time for sports, campus politics, or other extra curricular activities. I have to study for my classes. I want to go to graduate business school someday."
Assumption? Only his academic profile will help him get into the business school.

I guess you got a rough idea on about how and on what basis assumptions can be made.

Review these below examples and write the assumption(implicit or unstated premise) for the statements. Try it. they are pretty fun. 😀

1. College senior: "I can't take a chance on challenging courses this semester. I'm going to pad my schedule with fluff courses. I need all A's so I can get into an MBA program.
Assumption?

2. College graduate: "I really want to go to a graduate business school, so I guess I'll have to work for a couple of years and save some money."
Assumption?

3. Aspiring business student: "My grades were only average in college, so I want to score well on the GMAT. I'd better take a review course.
Assumption?

4. Business school applicant: "I know admission directors regards letters of recommendation as very important. I'll ask Professor La bash to write my letter. He wrote very good letters last year for my friends."
Assumption?

5. Business school hopeful: "No, I haven't heard from any business school yet, but I know I'll get into Podunk Business School. My aunt is the chairwoman of the addmission committee."
Assumption?

6. MBA student studying for finance final: " I know Prof. Hadley won't ask any questions about the IMF. He hasn't even published that topic."
Assumption?

7.Business executive to spouse: " I'm going to retire from business and do something easier. I think I'll apply for that faculty position at the university."
Assumption?

8:Business executive to St. Peter at heaven's gate: "I'd like to stay in that little condominium over there on cloud nine."
Assumption?

Replies

• Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Assumption 1: Only grades are considered to get into an MBA program.

Assumption 2: A lot of money and experience is required to go to a graduate business school.

Assumption 3: The GMAT scores will compensate the grades in college.

Assumption 4: 1. Prof. La Bash always writes good letters. 2. Prof. La Bash will also write a letter for him because he did for his friends.

Assumption 5: Having his aunt as the chairwoman of the business school will help getting him into one.

Assumption 6:
    Questions are asked only on the published topics.

Assumption 7: Assuming that the faculty position is an easy task.

Assumption 8: All business executives go to heaven.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, Currently i'm working on final year project suggestion. My suggestion title / idea is Designing Dual Mode Home Automation.It is a kind of merging the Bluetooth technology and GSM...
Is there batteries that are very small and lightweight but powerful? I'm looking for batteries or combination of batteries which does not exceed an area size of 5 cm square....
Happy 4th of July to all US members! Hope you have some good plans. I'll be eating, working on the car & fireworks.
Hi friends, We know that class P problem belongs to class of decision problem and can be solved in polynomial time on a deterministic computation model where as class NP...
hello guy's here it's 4AM currently i gonne collect some knoledge about computer networking. But last time when i minimise my all open window i found some one create an...