Mail sent by Narayan Murthy to all Infosys staff

Don't know if it is true. Found it today on a job searching group on Facebook.

Mail sent by Narayan Murthy to all Infosys staff:

It’s half past 8 in the office but the lights are still on… PCs still running, coffee machines still buzzing… And who’s at work? Most of them ??? Take a closer look…

All or most specimens are ?? Something male species of the human race…

Look closer… again all or most of them are bachelors…

And why are they sitting late? Working hard? No way!!! Any guesses??? Let’s ask one of them… Here’s what he says… ‘What’s there 2 do after going home…Here we get to surf, AC, phone, food, coffee that is why I am working late…Importantly no bossssssss!!!!!!!!!!!’

This is the scene in most research centers and software companies and other off-shore offices.

Bachelors ‘Passing-Time’ during late hours in the office just bcoz they say they’ve nothing else to do… Now what r the consequences…

‘Working’ (for the record only) late hours soon becomes part of the institute or company culture.

With bosses more than eager to provide support to those ‘working’ late in the form of taxi vouchers, food vouchers and of course good feedback, (oh, he’s a hard worker….. goes home only to change..!!). They aren’t helping things too…

To hell with bosses who don’t understand the difference between ‘sitting’ late and ‘working’ late!!!

Very soon, the boss start expecting all employees to put in extra working hours.

So, My dear Bachelors let me tell you, life changes when u get married and start having a family… office is no longer a priority, family is… and That’s when the problem starts… b’coz u start having commitments at home too.

For your boss, the earlier ‘hardworking’ guy suddenly seems to become a ‘early leaver’ even if u leave an hour after regular time… after doing the same amount of work.

People leaving on time after doing their tasks for the day are labelled as work-shirkers…

Girls who thankfully always (its changing nowadays… though) leave on time are labelled as ‘not up to it’. All the while, the bachelors pat their own backs and carry on ‘working’ not realizing that they r spoiling the work culture at their own place and never realize that they would have to regret at one point of time.

So what’s the moral of the story??
* Very clear, LEAVE ON TIME!!!
* Never put in extra time ‘ unless really needed ‘
* Don’t stay back unnecessarily and spoil your company work culture which will in turn cause inconvenience to you and your colleagues.

There are hundred other things to do in the evening..

Learn music…..

Learn a foreign language…

Try a sport… TT, cricket………..

Importantly,get a girl friend or boy friend, take him/her around town…

* And for heaven’s sake, net cafe rates have dropped to an all-time low (plus, no fire-walls) and try cooking for a change.

Take a tip from the Smirnoff ad: *’Life’s calling, where are you??’*

Please pass on this message to all those colleagues and please do it before leaving time, don’t stay back till midnight to forward this!!!

IT’S A TYPICAL INDIAN MENTALITY THAT WORKING FOR LONG HOURS MEANS VERY HARD WORKING & 100% COMMITMENT ETC.

PEOPLE WHO REGULARLY SIT LATE IN THE OFFICE DON’T KNOW TO MANAGE THEIR TIME. SIMPLE !

Regards, NARAYAN MURTHY.

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    Never mind if he himself wrote it or if it was some frustrated employee who was at the receiving end of his boss' ire for his work at his office, I think the write up is very relevant.

I have always been telling my friends not to overwork just for the sake of it. They say that you have to work but I do not really think it is legally required to do so. One should work for the hours he is getting paid for. Indians are the cheap workers of choice for outsourcing companies because of this easy going attitude which gets them labourers who are ready to slog it beyond their official working time even without any kind of extra pay. All they care about is their image in front of their colleagues and seniors and being remarked as being a hard worker could tip one into promotion later on, or so is the mentality.

Rightly said by the author of the article, it is a wastage of resources for the company and priceless time that the employee is wasting instead of enjoying out his life.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That mail, for sure, has not been written by Mr. Murthy. He'd not put so many exclamation marks, use SMS lingo or use '....' in between words. It looks too unprofessional to be written by Mr. Murthy.

From what I've seen in my limited career span of 3.5 years as an IT engineer is that the 'real work' happens for not more than 3 hours, out of full 8-9 hours people spend in offices. Most of the time is really wasted in useless meetings, general time-pass, gossip, lunch, tea & coffee breaks.

Coming to the office on time and leaving on time is very important. Even more important is what you really do during your work-hours. No one really asks you to work more. But the corporate world is far from being perfect!

The bosses will typically see, 'notice' and 'appreciate' someone who's spending more hours in the office. They'll reward them because they worked 'harder', 'did more' and produced 'more output'. And the incentives, promotions, salary rises are decided by the managers who have full authority to judge who's working more - and it's all perception.

So, what the mail author says is right and it's common sense. But it's likely not to be followed. People will want to have an 'edge' over others for salary rises, promotions and 'onsite opportunities'.

That's the way how it is.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Who ever wrote this I think it is valid and best suited FOR ANY PROFESSION
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I agree with Biggie. There will be nothing productive in office for some hours and the biggest draw back is the useless meetings!

I dont know whats the outcome , but same point will be discussed for months without any conclusions. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is one of the most interesting & controversial tech debate at this moment.One side critics says "NO!" other end MS fans/developers yells "Yeah!" People might be thinking that Windows...
DoCircuits offers you a web-based circuit simulation program, it is a virtual lab which lets you create,analyse & run analog & digital electronics circuits from your browser. You can go...
So, we're starting again the Weekend Technical Discussion from this Sunday i.e. 20th. Interested CEans vote for the topic you want to see/discuss on Sunday. Poll will be closed after...
GRE takers find the verbal section as one of the most difficult sections to crack. You've to go through really long word lists and remember the words, their meanings and...
Hello to all!!! I am a student of computer system engineering...I have to make project on Computer Communication and Networking and also on Digital Image Processing... as i am a...