Magnetic Energy Generator

Hello, i am a newbie. Im 14 and am taking GCSE Electronics and i am hoping to continue on and take A level Physics.
At school, we came across energy, how it can be generated and how it is stored , well, we learnt that coal fired power stations use the chemical energy in coal to superheat water to turn a turbine that turns an alternator to create electricity. I asked the teacher why you cant use magnets to turn the alternator, and they said "because that would be free energy, and there is no such thing".

I am confused, because in theory, it is entirely possible and i can't seem to find a flaw in my design (which i will edit onto this post).

Thank you for reading this (and please dont flame me 😭)

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    If I understand you correctly, what you are referring to is the principle by which a motor works. See here for more details:

Electric Motor (URL)

Let me know if I misunderstood.
  • Ashok Katdare
    Ashok Katdare
    In conventional generators, electricity is produced by rotating a conductor in a magnetic field. Therefore, rotation of the conductor is an essential part of a generator. With the help of magnets a conductor cannot be rotated unless a torque is produced. However, in a MHD (MagnetoHydrodynamic Generator) electricity is produced with the help of magnets and a conducting alkaline gas.

Refer to the following link on Wikipedia - Mhd Generator
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Saint Silence
    At school, we came across energy, how it can be generated and how it is stored , well, we learnt that coal fired power stations use the chemical energy in coal to superheat water to turn a turbine that turns an alternator to create electricity. I asked the teacher why you cant use magnets to turn the alternator, and they said "because that would be free energy, and there is no such thing".

I am confused, because in theory, it is entirely possible and i can't seem to find a flaw in my design (which i will edit onto this post).

Thank you for reading this (and please dont flame me 😭)
    Howdy saint! Welcome to CE. We're just as cool as you are and we won't flame you. In fact, we'd love to answer your query until you're satisfied!

To begin with, your teacher is right. There's not such thing as free energy. Let me explain -

1. Energy cannot be created! The total amount of energy in the universe is constant. When we say we generate electricity, we are only converting energy from one form to another { chemical (coal) -> mechanical (generator/alternator) -> electrical }

2. In power generating stations, the whole energy conversion happens at a much bigger level.Unless you're talking about the MHD Generators, I'll assume your design resembles the design of electric motor (correct me if I'm wrong).

3. It's possible to turn the alternator using magnets, provided you can figure out how to create a rotating magnetic field (needed for producing the torque (the turning action)). A motor could turn the alternator, but in that case, the Motor will need more energy than the alternator can produce. That's the reason, your teacher said "that would be free energy".

Does this answer your query? Can't wait to see your design.

PS: Please update your engineering discipline to 'Electrical' or 'Electronics'. πŸ˜€
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    I think everyone is missing the point.

What Saint silence is referring to here is, Why cant we turn the alternator by magnetic field? Is that correct?

1. Firstly, lets define our objective> to derive electricity from the turbine.

2. So, in a turbine when you rotate the alternator in a magnetic filed, you convert mechanical energy to electrical energy.

3. YOur proposal> To rotate the alternator using the magnetic field.

4. There is no flaw in your proposal. What you are referring to is a motor. Motor is a generator where the alternator is supplied with electrical energy.

5. So, if you have to rotate the alternator, you need to supply it with the electrical energy. And you would need a generator for the purpose.
  • Saint Silence
    Saint Silence
    ok, i tried to scan it but its in pencil, and until i locate a fineliner i will not be able to upload.
    And my system is to turn the axel that the alternator spins on... i have no idea what an alternator is but i know theyre in cars. I think that it works by spinning a magnet round inside a powered coil, which somehow makes electricity... i dont know but thats from what you guys have said.

i am aiming to create a prototype with wood an magnets an shizz 😁 and i will try and post a video if i get the time.
    Magnetic Power Generator

I want you guys to look over this -

- YouTube
    - YouTube

An Australian has build 24 KW Magnetic Power Generator, he claims that smaller version can be build by anyone for under $100 (kits are available), check this -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    OR #-Link-Snipped-#
    OR #-Link-Snipped-#
    OR #-Link-Snipped-#
    OR #-Link-Snipped-#

Another interesting thing - Free Energy Generator Kit and Plans
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Saint Silence, we are currently working on a project that involves using an alternator/dynamo with a sewing machines to generate electricity. You might get some additional ideas there:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Warning, quite a long read. Do keep us updated with your efforts, looking forward to it πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

we see many of our regular and CEAn of the months are busy and not active ,so we miss you CEan : Please Come back . Please post Name here...
Join MATLAB product experts and fellow users to see the latest features in the MATLAB product family, learn how to solve your current engineering challenges, and network with colleagues from...
we are a group of 7 students working on a project whose topic is reciprocating positive displacement pump. we all set to do with it but what innovative can we...
😎i want which type of buffer ckt use in xerox machine n xerox machin how work😎
CEans, Every day lot of CEans send me 'Good Morning', 'Great Thoughts', 'Inspiring Quotes' mails. Upon observing, I found out that 50% of these mails are smart marketing mails. I'm...