Magnetic circuits and transformer

I am an electrical engineering student. I studied about magnetic circuits and transformers recently in one of my departmental courses.

I want to find out if I can implement this knowledge practically. So can anybody suggest some interesting projects on magnetic circuits or transformers which can give me an opportunity to implement the concepts I studied?

Replies

• icehari
    icehari
    explain the concepts that you have studied first..
  • gohm
    gohm
    induction motor
    toroidal/tokamak machines
    magnetic bottle
    superconductors in transformers
  • ajnk
    ajnk
    icehari
    explain the concepts that you have studied first..
    here is a list of the concepts that i studied:

Magnetic Circuits :
    Ampere's circuital law, B-H curve, mutual inductance, dot convention, magnetically coupled circuits, hysteresis and eddy current losses,

Transformers :
    Construction, EMF equation, ratings, phasor diagram on no load and full load, equivalent circuit, regulation and efficiency calculations, open and short circuit tests, auto-transformers.
  • chotaprogramer
    chotaprogramer
    if you want to do transformers practically so should take a tarnsformer and see all of that parts and then take your book and read how they all r works.
    for magnetic ckt you should read rotar and stator part of moters
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well you can also study rotating machines like genertors,even a small inductor will do
  • rammy_233
    rammy_233
    Hey.. you can take up the manufacture of a LT Current Transformer (LTCT of about 660V.... these are available upto 440kV) as a mini project... you might have not studied much about these Transformers in your class books... these are Instrument Transformers... Which are used in Sub stations mainly in Switchgear & Protection circuits... I will help you in this regaards... i.e calculations of core area, size & Turns of windings... IT IS VERY SIMPLE....
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    you mean designing a CT or developing it,designing is definately possible,developing i doubt will he get the resources!!!
  • rammy_233
    rammy_233
    If he goes for higher rating CTs (i.e 11kV onwards) then it will be a problem sir, thats why i suggested him to go for LT CT where as the raw material is only CRGO core, Copper wires and Insulating Tape which are readily available in the market, he may get them at some extra cost (as he is not purchasing in bulk..)
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    and how he will fabricate it??? i suggest he should better do this project from a CT manufacturing firm,he will get the guidance and resources at will!!!
  • rishimishr@
    rishimishr@
    hey man you can go designing a full power system for a building or industry , giving emphasis on transformers, like transformer switchgear and protectioon design involving oil level protection, overload protection, shortcircuit and earth fault protectiion of transformer. this involves differntial protection of transformer and fault discrimination too. like discrimination between transformer internal fault and the external faults occurring in supported load such as motors, heaters etc. it involves a lot of calculations, a pretty finee project for urr level

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! I have an assignment that I need some help with, I hope this is the right place for it. I'm completely new to this kinda thing and I've spent...
Hiii all, Why is that at bad channel condition, i.e (Channel with noises present), QPSK gives higher error rate compared to BPSK, whereas at good channel condition, BPSK gives higher...
I have found this forum intrsting so i joined . i found ppl share a gud space of engineering knowledge i am studying in BITS PILANI I WANT u ppl...
The answer was obvious I can diodes conduct currents lower that Average Forward Rectified Current
I would like to build a 12vdc data logger.. and i would like to collect the data on my pc using lab view since im not into programming. Does anyone...