Magnet roads with magnet cars

From the first day of evolving roads, I think they've been placing a new layer onto an old layer of road. But again, replacing roads would be expensive, right? If so, how did these cities evolve then? To this day, there might be a making of magnetic roads being added onto the modern road we use, you know? I bet this case would happen first in North America... what do you guys think?

Replies

• Rifaa
    Rifaa
    probably......
  • gohm
    gohm
    Actually I really doubt it, it will happen in Europe first. North Americans are too independent and into being in control of their own vehicle to sacrifice some of that(same for the UK). I would predict it would be adopted in these countries before coming here, like a lot of technology.

Germany
    Holland
    Sweden
    Norway
    Denmark
    Japan
  • Differential
    Differential
    How do the magnetic roads work?
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    same qustion==>>
    How do the magnetic roads work?
  • krishthd
    krishthd
    wat exactly r these magnetic roads
  • amagi
    amagi
    magnet roads with magnet cars.. sounds interesting and sounds dangerous

how does it works actually?
  • 6nv6
    6nv6
    oh i am sorry, i didnt meant for magnets cars.. i meant for magnetic road with an electric car.. i was thinking that magnetic road strips could power an electric car because any vehicles with sensor-driven magnetic devices on their underside can suck up energy as they travel over the strips without coming into direct contact...The system that can charge several vehicles at once would allow electric cars and buses to cut down on their battery sizes or extend their ranges.,.. but it is the economy i am worrying about.. will that be more expensive than tar-roads and cars that we use today?
  • Eng.Nescafee
    Eng.Nescafee
    Thank you for your efforts
  • krishthd
    krishthd
    thank u 4 ur info. your idea is a wonder. But dont the magnetic roads get effected due to different climatic conditions like much heat or rainfall etc.
  • 6nv6
    6nv6
    maybe... unless we can find some ways to cover the surface preventing the wetness and such... the roads could be artificial that can be shut down anytime for only such emergency;..... is magnet even cheaper than tars or is electric car even cheaper than modern car with gas? ... the cheaper it is but with good quality will be always better
  • gohm
    gohm
    How about magnetic propulsion? The electron magnets would be incorporated within the road surface where they would not be effected by climactic conditions. The cars would operate free of motor propulsion ( a small electric motor could be installed for backup propulsion of the vehicle as well as propulsion when off the mag. hwy). This is just an expansion of the magnetic propulsion used by many modern roller coasters.

6nv6
    oh i am sorry, i didnt meant for magnets cars.. i meant for magnetic road with an electric car.. i was thinking that magnetic road strips could power an electric car because any vehicles with sensor-driven magnetic devices on their underside can suck up energy as they travel over the strips without coming into direct contact...The system that can charge several vehicles at once would allow electric cars and buses to cut down on their battery sizes or extend their ranges.,.. but it is the economy i am worrying about.. will that be more expensive than tar-roads and cars that we use today?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    So, we have two good ideas here.

One, we are talking about wireless distribution of power from the road to the car yeah? Doesnt sound far fetched.. since we have a lot of discussions on it on CE ๐Ÿ˜€ Resonant induction would work pretty well since it works in short/medium range and can power multiple devices (cars) simultaneously as mentioned before. With a gap of around 10 cm between the coil in the car and the road, it would still be practical.

Next, it is the actual propulsion of the car using repelling of magnets. This is quite interesting as well. Another implication is that you can also implement magnetic braking.. which would act on the actual car body (where magnets are attached) rather than just the tires.

A concern is about striking a balance between the use of electromagnets and permanent ones (rare earth types). The latter is more expensive and are in limited quantity.. but has greater stability.

Which highways would one implement this? For safety and efficiency, the flattest and relatively straightest would make better sense.
  • gohm
    gohm
    True, was also thinking major thouroughfares like freeways that have limited access. The vehicle would run under own power until merging from the on ramp where the vehicle would detect the electromagnets and the motor would switch off and a clutch activate. The vehicle would be propelled/stopped with the magentic system and road sensors would monitor traffic flow and vehicle location.
  • geococeo
    geococeo
    remember the skateboards in the feature length film "back to the future II"
    they were "levitating" skateboards with two magnets mounted to the bottom, being filmed in a green room with magnet floors.
    these toys pose an example of how a car could float above the surface of a road reducing to nothing the vehicle to road surface friction and also reducing to nothing the vehicles ability to propel itself.
    perhaps a floating magnetic car could propel itself forward or back by performing some method of pole variation between the magnets that line the bottom of the vehicle in relation to the magnets that line the road surface in order to propel said vehicle.
    just the same way an electric motor works to propel the magnetized rotor inside the oppositely magnetized stator.
    now thinking about how the braking action of the vehicle would be just the opposite and in so being capable of retrieving energy from the road surface like a generator.
    in modern day locomotive trains (and i quote #-Link-Snipped-# here) "each of the four traction motors acts like a generator, using the wheels of the train to apply torque to the motors and generate electrical current. The torque that the wheels apply to turn the motors slows the train down (instead of the motors turning the wheels, the wheels turn the motors)"
    the trains typically waste the current into heat that is expelled into the atmosphere but smaller vehicles could more reasonably absorb and recycle this electric energy. in fact experimental hybrid vehicles are already doing this, but these cars still have wheels.

also my mind wanders towards ideas about cars that drive themselves using analytical meta traffic control systems to perfectly move individuals to their destination.
    the number of accidents would likely go way down and the efficiency of the herd would go way up.

wowie zowie
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    But then how far can it withstand practically?
  • Sekocan
    Sekocan
    Check DARPA Challange to see self driving cars. They can go in muddy roads in a desert or between other cars in traffic.

Braking with a generator is a brilliant idea and it is used in hybrid cars. When they brake, if the brake is not too hard (if a physical contact is not needed) some magnets starts to charge the batteries and this energy transfer slows down the car. In some ordinary trucks (of Ford for example) they use this braking to longer the life of ordinary brakes but of course they convert the energy into heat like the trains geococeo mentioned above.

But hovering? Oh it has many problems. Being in a balance is not easy. If an empty car is hovering (which needs a great power to hover a 1ton car) when some guy gets in the car, it lowers and it needs to balance itself. Okay it can be done. But while you are hovering, the only friction you have is air friction and that is proportional to your velocity (not exactly but close enough) which means, when you are waiting on road for example a red light is on, you can slowly hover in any direction with a wind and you may hit some other car before you notice it. Braking is a big problem too. If you use magnets to brake like in the hover trains in Japan or something, a magnet can pull you backwards but simultaneously, it can pull other cars or metals to that point and sticks everything to your car. etc. etc. ๐Ÿ˜

And making a road with electrical magnets would cost a lot yeah. I don't know even we have that much copper on earth or not. And the heat... those electrical magnets produce heat. Global warming yeah ๐Ÿ˜Ž or maybe not ๐Ÿ˜ and using and transporting electrical power in a long way will bring lots of losses and it wouldn't be efficient. And I don't want to be near of a that strong electrical field since my brain is a electro-chemical thing and that field may mess me up.

But every invention had these kind problems at first and some people have found solutions in time. So I can't say that it is impossible, it is just not very probable (for now) ๐Ÿ˜
  • pankajvig
    pankajvig
    In think it will work in the same way as the current Magnetic levitation trains running in Germany and China.
  • bottomline99
    bottomline99
    are you talking about charging the battery or actually powering the electric motor via electromagnetic waves coming from the road?

electromagnetic waves cannot efficiently transfer substantial amounts of energy from one system to another through AIR. Yes you can have a radio station arial transmitting 30MW of electromagnetic waves but your radio needs batteries to amplify the tiny signal that it recieves for it to move the speakers.

the solution to this is to have a medium between the two systems that offers minimal resistance to electromagnetic induction such as iron. some examples of this can be seen in electric motors, or transformers. electric motors have their coils wound onto iron, so the coils fields effectivley interact with the pernament magnet fields. transformers have a primary and secondary coils again wound onto iron purley to direct the fields from one coil to another.

the idea would only work if this problem were overcome. picture less than 1 inch air gaps between car and road. picture somthing similar to the hovering magnetic trains (they have an inch air gap i think and consume gargantuan amounts of energy). could both conventional cars and the new age car work on this road? without paying attention to this issue no more power could be transferred than could be absorbed with a solar panels on the roof on a cloudy day. which method would you gues to be cheaper?

Electromagnetic roads would be one of the biggest expenses this world has seen, both in terms of resource, time, and money. for the road to give car energy, coils in the road would have to do it. you cannot use magnets in the road and car to do this as energy cannot be created from nothing. if you want the coils to charge the batteries say at the traffic lights to prolong range that is a very expensive method of doing so - reccomend improving charge storage within the car. if you want to propell the car again coils in the road would have to do it, where user control wirlessly interacts with road side stations that sends current to coils in front of the car to pull you towards them, and smoothly transitions to the next coil to proceed. imagin a packed highway, each car having to have different carrier frequencies, the road side systems having absolute mind boggling processing capabilities. how would the system be introduced in todays current car road system? im sorry but it is a pipe dream and youve spoken without thinking.

the issue your adressing i guess to be minimising battery size and prolonging battery charge time in a new age electric powered car? I would try to redirect you to the issue that we are powering cars with earths resources, and it is currently a disgusting situation of unsustainablilty. the earth took hundreds of millions of years to produce resources of fossil feuls and it probly going to take us only 200 -300 years to burn it all. the future people will most likley be furious at this, having found new efficient uses for the resource and frown at our 30 % efficient 300 kW v8 muscle cars used purley for accelleration (dont get me wrong I love it haha), but the realities of this profit orientated world can almost pull a tear.

I think the issue here could be an efficient means to transport people. im not really religous, but the fact that uranium exists makes me think there must be someone looking over us - rocks that glow hot I mean come on! im not too clued up on the issue but it wouldnt surprise me if the oil companies have somehow monopolised the game with dirty tactics. im not talking about having a nuclear reactor in every car im talking about being responsible with earths resources.

personally I think the solution to this is hybrid electric/diesel cars with regenerative braking, optimised public transport (in new cities - too expensive and late for the existing), and nulclear power or renewable resources (wind/sun/tidal) to produce the worlds electricity. All these technologies allready exist however we all take the world for granted and see ourselves as a minority. bad news.

so to sum things you bought up the issue of prolonging the charge in your cars battery, and I rambled my way into talking about prolonging the charge of mother earth. hope it has interested you and given you somthing to think about.
  • saggi1991
    saggi1991
    i love this thread... read it over n over again...dunt understand sum concepts but time will deal wid dat... maybe till next year.... i plan to do a paper presentation on this topic... any tips??
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Your thoughts on this thread mate?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Are you talking about magnetic levitation like we use in rails?
    If not i am little concerned that it may be very difficult to move ferrous object over a magnetic road or vice versa. It will experiance high friction and speed of a vehicle is really difficult to attain because of high resistance . Sorry if my view is stupid .Thanks for asking me bro.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    please throw me more light into this topic to move forward

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I think all of you would know the FLAMES game played by school students and teenagers. Using this game, they predict the relationship between two persons. F-Friends L-Love A-Affection M-Marriage...
CEans, I thought of declaring this as a CE Lab mini project to be developed by CEans who'd like to contribute to CE. Here are the requirements of the feed...
MANCHESTER, England โ€“ Manchester United won the Premier League for the third straight season Saturday after a 0-0 tie with Arsenal. United needed a point to clinch a record-equaling 18th...
how does one decide whether a capacitor is a differentiator or inductor?? the capacitor equation is i = cdv/dt....or equivalently v =(1/c)(integral)i??? i know this is lame..but....i am helpless??
Well we will see how this works, I have a very limited electrical understanding. But anyway I bought a 400w DC to AC converter at a garage sale for $5...