Machine Extracts Sweat From Clothes & Turns It Into Drinkable Water

How do you like the idea of extracting the sweat from your clothes and turning the moisture into drinkable water? Well, more than 1000 people have already drunk other people's sweat in Gothenburg. The machine is already in use in Sweden - and it just works like washing machine. The sweaty clothes get spinned and heated so that the sweat is removed. The vapour is then passed through a special membrane that only lets the water molecules pass through, which is then condensed to water. The project has been designed as a part of campaign by Unicef in Sweden to highlight the fact that 780 million people in the world do not have access to clean water.

slideโ€‹

The creator of the machine, Er. Andreas Hammar says that the output of this machine is cleaner than the local tap water (obviously). Hammar is known in Sweden for his TV appearances. The critical part of the sweat machine is the water purification component developed by a company called HVR in association with Royal Institute Of Technology. The technique used to separate water from salt is called 'membrane distillation'.

Hammar said that he used a substance similar to Goretex that only lets the steam pass through leaving behind bacteria, clothing fibers and other unwanted substances. He points out that the astronauts on the ISS (International Space Station) have something similar which converts Urine into drinkable water. He adds that his machine was a lot cheaper to build.

The amount of drinkable water produced by the system is directly proportional to how sweaty the person is. However, a normal person would produce about 10 ml. The machine is on display at the Gothia Cup - World's largest international youth football tournament. The organizers were bit disappointed because people didn't sweat to their expectations, because of the weather. To fix that problem, the organizers have installed exercise bikes alongside the machine. Those who want to try drinking water from their own sweat have to exercise like there's no tomorrow, develop thirst and get water from their own sweat.

We've setup a poll at the bottom of this article to know how many of you would love to try drinking water made from their own sweat.

Via: Machine turns sweat into drinking water for Unicef - BBC News

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can't help tagging : #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , @godfather
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜” Duplicate post. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can't help tagging : #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , @godfather

honestly speaking, a great number of people will take time, getting used to the idea, that the output of this machine is safe and drinkable. i am one among them.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Laudable as a concept. In my opinion poor engineering.
    To produce sweat one should have first drunk the water. It is a no brainer that the laws of thermodynamics will ensure diminished returns.
    Singapore recycles sewage water completely. Untreated sewage is better than 98.5% pure water and if bottled can be legitimately labeled chemically pure water!

Nano filtration is far simpler. It already exists.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Will be available in India soon. No machine, no power. Just gravity.

The out put far superior to US EPA limits for drinking water.

Yes I will have no problem drinking water from Er. Andreas Hammar's machine, whatever the input source.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Any clean water is drinkable.
    Even water from bore well is also filtered form of surface water.
    I am not sure how economically feasible this idea is cool and encourage to exercise more ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The project has been designed as a part of campaign by Unicef in Sweden to highlight the fact that 780 million people in the world do not have access to clean water.
    Why 780 million people do not have access to clean water?
    Due to poverty? - If Yes, I am sure they even now they will not be able to spend money on a machine which can convert sweat in water.
    Due to lack of clean water? If Yes, why not to install the cheaper water purifier in place of these costlier (I am sure these will not be cheap) machines?

For me, if the purpose was to convert the sweat in drinking water, forget about design concept itself was not good.

Am I missed something?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Water you drink is from treated sewage

This is much better than that But economical point of view is the prime concern in this

If it is less than INR 30/ 20 Lt then it is better
  • lal
    lal
    "The sweaty clothes get spinned and heated so that the sweat is removed."

I wonder if the energy spent to extract sweat and then obtain clean water is worth it. Again, if 10ml is the amount of sweat a normal person perspire, I believe the extracted quantity of pure water will be even lesser. More than hundred people would be needed to make a litre of water.

I doubt, how practical it would be in normal situations. May be install one in a gym or other places where heavy physical works are carried out.

Well, I will drink the water extracted by the machine. Though it might feel a bit weird when thinking about the concept. But, then that is the great thing in this innovation!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think this product,by any means will be feasible.
    How much a person would sweat ? few ml ?
    It would be uber awesome if the Engineers would've found a way to convert urine water into clean water [^_^]
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Abhishek Rawal
    It would be uber awesome if the Engineers would've found a way to convert urine water into clean water [^_^]
    Toilet to Tap Technology:
    From toilets to tap: How we get tap water from sewage - USATODAY.com
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Still fail to understand, why do we need urine/ sweat cleaned water which would be a costlier affair for personal use and an unfeasible option for commercial (as they will not get the enough supplies).

May be we just want to prove a point that HUMAN can do anything?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think this product,by any means will be feasible.
    How much a person would sweat ? few ml ?
    Urine could be a feasible idea.
    Tagging @BearGrills โ˜•

Still fail to understand, why do we need urine/ sweat cleaned water which would be a costlier affair for personal use and an unfeasible option for commercial (as they will not get the enough supplies).

Leave the clean, even water is not available in Vidharbha region Maharashtra and people have to walk miles to get a bucket water.
    Some places in Africa where they have to dig some plant root so they can squeeze it and get some drops of water.
  • lal
    lal
    #-Link-Snipped-#, These technologies might seem to be insignificant on a place with easy or decent availability of water.

Quoting from the post "the astronauts on the ISS (International Space Station) have something similar which converts Urine into drinkable water."

Now that makes sense. Doesn't it?
  • mail154
    mail154
    Over and unwanted Usage of water Finally Lead us to think upto this level. ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well we did wonders with technology in the past Now this technology is set to convert something you can't even think into something really fine

Concept of 3 R's is doing wonders here
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    What is the point of even making such a machine. You dont sweat in litres to generate water of that type. Plus as #-Link-Snipped-# sir said, it will result in loss of most of it. Plus people wont approve it too.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Have you ever been to a sports field and the specially have you seen any person returning from a Gym their clothes have litres of water in them at all time

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello people. I am starting with my c++ basics . Which compiler would you advise me to use. Borland or Visual c++ . I would also like to know the...
sir please suggest any topics for doing final project which are related to electrical machines
At a busy place, on weekday or weekend have you ever given an effort to search for parking space. Do you know that fuel wasted for the search of parking...
Recently I was traveling in a domestic air carrier. Weather was thunderous, and there was lightning was happening all around. I was just wondering that what if a high lightning...
Wing and a Prayer (also known as The Story of Carrier X) is a black-and-white 1944 war film about the heroic crew of an American carrier in the desperate early...