MAC OS X Mavericks announced to be free! What could this develop into?

With the apple live event going on, it was just announced that the OS X Mavericks version of the operating system will revolutionize pricing and made it free. We all know that the MAC OS is almost an ideal adaptation of the UNIX operating system and one where the design and user experience is the best ever seen in any other operating systems.

So what could this mean to the other operating systems like Linux and Windows? Would this trigger something in the operating system world?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah! It was a surprise announcement. In addition they announced that iWork and iLife would be free with the latest purchases od new Apple hardware. I think Apple now wants to grow the software install base so that the customers will have no option but pay for the next upgrades.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apple starts following Microsoft now.
    And,Free Software is not equal to Opensource Software, hence it doesn't really changes at all, unless they provide source code & binaries.That'll be something one-step forward.
    Make it Opensource & I might bite it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They will never open-source it. It's critical for Apple to be in charge of the development so that they can control the overall experience offered to the customers. Let other Linux flavours be open sourced; but not OSX. Plus - I'm not sure if they're making it available to download as a package. That is, are they allowing people to download OSX and install on their Windows machines?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are they allowing people to download OSX and install on their Windows machines?
    Negative.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yesterday's Apple iPad event was amazing! Apple made a lot of announcements and one of the most exciting among them was the launch of new iPad, called iPad Air. It's...
Intex Technologies has launched a new smartphone in its Aqua series called the Intex Aqua N2. The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS running smartphone features a 4-inch WVGA LCD display...
The latest goon in the virtual world is the CryptoLocker Ransomware Virus. Affecting as many as five hundred machines on a daily basis, the Ransomware is the threat thats fast...
iBall India has launched a new tablet called the iBall Slide 3G 8072 that features a 8-inch capacitive touch screen with 1024×768 pixels resolution and is powered by the 1GHz...
ok, though everything else works fine, I had an issue while accessing VM. The network adapter 1 ( attached to NAT ) is just fine. But the problem is with...