London Array - World's Largest Wind Farm Begins Producing 630 MW Green Energy

The London Array has finally reached is full capacity as the engineers commissioned the 175th (final) turbine. Dong Energy reported that with all the turbines now connected with the national grid, the London Array will power about half a million homes every year all through green energy. Though the turbine installation was finished by December last year, the commissioning took a little longer. Since the last few weeks, the focus was getting all the 175 of the 3.6MW turbines built by Siemens operational. The commissioning of the final turbine marked an important milestone in the project that begin in March 2011.

slide

Tony Cocker, CEO of E.ON UK says that the London Array is an important achievement in renewable energy initiatives. The wind farm will reduce the CO2 emissions by over 900,000 tonnes every year.

The London Array is built about 20 kilometers off the cost of Kent & Essex and spreads over an area of 245 sq.km. The phase one of the project coverss about 90 sq.km and includes 175 turbines that will produce a total of 630 MW. The second phase of the project would up the total capacity to about 870 MW.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: The Wind-Farm has been inaugurated by the UK prime minister David Cameron.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think its impressive that they commissioned it in just 2 years after construction. Sounds pretty quick for a project this scale!

Anyhow. With project costs of £1.8 billion for 630MW capacity, how long does it take to break even at current tariff rates?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yeah, the speed of execution is quite awesome. No idea about the tariff they're offering but sure the plan is 'very long term'.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    A good initiative. Although benefits derived may not seem to be justifying the investment but in the long run this could mean a lot of savings as the carbon-based fuel costs are rising regularly. Wind turbines would need maintenance costs only and not the recurrent fuel costs. Add to this the reduced CO2 emissions, and the benefits will be justified.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    lovebox
    A good initiative. Although benefits derived may not seem to be justifying the investment but in the long run this could mean a lot of savings as the carbon-based fuel costs are rising regularly. Wind turbines would need maintenance costs only and not the recurrent fuel costs. Add to this the reduced CO2 emissions, and the benefits will be justified.
    Now the Maintantence also reduced from the new gearless turbines.
    #-Link-Snipped-# Regen Power Tech

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When we say the Universe, we are really referring to the observable universe. What is beyond is a lot of conjecture. The Planck Cosmology Probe took a picture of an...
i'M TRYING TO RECOVER THE MY HP LAPTOP, WHEN I TRY TO CREATE RECOVERY MEDIA DISC THEN THE SYSTEM SHOW THE ERROR "" Visual C++ Library- Run Time Error,------R6002-Floating point...
Name: Suyash Deshmukh Engineering Trade: Computer Science Location: Pune Occupation: Final Year Student. Hobbies & Interests: Reading , Adventure Sports and programming .. 😛 Aim in life: Wanna make the...
I'm addressing to all...kindly advise me...I'm a 2012 pass-out Civil Engineer & currently working in a reputed company(SPEC). I'm planning to quit my job by the end of this month...
It seems Pennies are still serving one purpose in America by being the de facto standard for measuring the minutest of things. The GPS is practically omnipresent for an average...