Liquefied Natural Gas - Advantages & Disadvantages [Discussion]

Liquefied Natural Gas or LNG is fast gaining the interest of many people in different countries as we fight for an alternative source of energy in the fight against the fossil fuel based energy resources. Now, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) is natural gas (NG) that is cooled to the point that it condenses to a liquid. I've heard and read that it is among the cleanest of all fossil fuel based energy resources when compared with other fossil fuel energy sources such as coal and crude petroleum and its derivatives.
The point of this thread is to gather important information about LNG from chemical engineers present and others having knowledge in this matter.

From what I am reading I've gathered that Liquefaction of natural gas to LNG reduces the volume of natural gas by approximately 600 times thus making it more economical to store natural gas and to transport gas over long distances for which pipelines are not economically feasible or there are other constraints.

LNG as a transportation fuel - is also the next topic in this discussion.

To begin with, let us discuss some of the advantages and disadvantages of LNG and its usage.

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    Advantage 1: Replacing a 500MW coal-fuelled electricity generation station by an LNG-fuelled electricity generation station for one year would be equivalent to taking 5,57,000 cars off the roads.
  • Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    Liquefied natural gas, or LNG, is natural gas in its liquid form. When natural gas is cooled to minus 259 degrees Fahrenheit (-161 degrees Celsius), it becomes a clear, colorless, odorless liquid. LNG is neither corrosive nor toxic. Natural gas is primarily methane, with low concentrations of other hydrocarbon, water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, oxygen and some sulfur compounds. During the process known as liquification, natural gas is cooled below its boiling point, removing most of these compounds. The remaining natural gas is primarily methane with only small amounts of other hydrocarbons. LNG weighs less than half the weight of water so it will float if spilled on water.

Uses- can be used as fuel for electricity generation
    - as transportation fuel
    - can be converted into CNG and be easily used in autos which we have in India.

If properly handled; is not flammable.

as stated above, it is neither corrosive nor toxic, so it is easier to transport it to other places as well as remote areas. moreover, its handling cost is also low because of its non-corrosive nature

source-energy.ca.gov

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends I am doing my final year mechanical engineering... I got an Industrial Project.. A furnace door is opened and closed repeatedly to charge and discharge the steel block...
You get a call for an interview and it is scheduled the same day or the very next day. Most people I know are scared to face the interview and...
CyanogenMod Android firmware users have received an additional security feature on Monday with the incorporation of Open WhisperSystems' TextSecure protocol. Open WhisperSystems, founded by security researchers Moxie Marlinspike and Stuart...
I'm wondering if there can be a DIY moon rover project - that will include sending the rover to the moon and then making the bot move, capture videos and...
The computer-based C-CAT for admission to the February 2014 batch of PG Diploma courses will be conducted on two dates, viz., 8 December 2013 and 15 December 2013, in various...