CrazyEngineers
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 2, 2012

First things first - is it a stand-alone installation or installation within another operating system?
    Second - what exactly do you mean by poor?

PS: This is what the official system requirements page states -

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 11.04 is 384 MB of memory for Ubuntu Desktop. Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card. If your computer has only the minimum amount of memory, the installation process will take longer than normal; however, it will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 2, 2012

You may even try out: #-Link-Snipped-# & <a href="https://www.pendrivelinux.com/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Boot and Run Linux from Bootable USB | Pen Drive Linux</a>
    Cancel
  • viswasknit

MemberJan 2, 2012

installation within Windows XP

poor means it's taking too much time than usual to open any application and also multitasking is very tough.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 2, 2012

viswasknit
    There you go! You're overloading your system by running two operating systems simultaneously. Why don't you partition your system and make it dual boot? I'm quite confident that 11.04 uBuntu will run absolutely fine with 1GB RAM. I haven't tried it myself though. If you don't want the GUI, you can try out console based Linux versions as well.
    Cancel
  • viswasknit

MemberJan 2, 2012

i am using dual boot.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 2, 2012

viswasknit
    poor means it's taking too much time than usual to open any application and also multitasking is very tough.
    viswasknit
    i am using dual boot.
    😨 ☕

Which reply of yours should we take as a base for our further discussion? You can either have uBuntu running within Windows XP (that is, first you load Windows XP and then load uBuntu) OR have a dual-boot which ensures that you've two operating systems running one at a time using all the hardware resources.

PS: Detailed response about your setup will help and avoid unnecessary questions.
    Cancel
  • viswasknit

MemberJan 2, 2012

I have installed the Ubuntu from Windows XP by online not by bootable device and I have dual-boot which ensures that I have two operating systems running one at a time using all the hardware resources.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 2, 2012

viswasknit
    I have installed the Ubuntu from Windows XP by online not by bootable device and I have dual-boot which ensures that I have two operating systems running one at a time using all the hardware resources.
    Dual-Boot means one operating system runs at a time. You either run OS-1 OR OS-2 by selecting the operating system at the time of system boot.

Is that how you're running your machine? If yes, then uBuntu should not cause any problem. If not, the problem you are facing is obvious. Your system will need more RAM.

Try stripped down versions of the Linux I've recommended above.
    Cancel
  • bhaskarreddy006

MemberJan 2, 2012

sorry to say i am using the same OS of ubuntu version. but the system is haning after very few mins of boot up. my system configuration is core 2 duo processor, RAM 2GB
    Cancel
  • Kishan Gupta

MemberJan 4, 2012

I am also using Ubuntu 11.10, there is no problem at all.

Ubuntu Desktop Edition Minimum requirement

• 1 GHz CPU (x86 processor (Pentium 4 or better))
    • 1 GiB RAM (system memory)
    • 15 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
    • 800 by 600 screen resolution
    • Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
    • <a href="https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Synaptic/PackageDownloadScript" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Synaptic/PackageDownloadScript - Community Help Wiki</a> is helpful
    Lightweight GUI alternative (Xubuntu and Lubuntu) Minimum Requirement
    • 512 MiB of system memory (RAM)
    • 5 GB of disk space
    • Graphics card and monitor capable of 800x600 resolution
    With Lubuntu, you can use computers with even less memory.
    Cancel
  • simplycoder

MemberJan 4, 2012

The main thing that users of linux should note is that, it is open source OS. So there are bound to be some glitches.
    If you donot want to explore and fix your linux distro, then the best possible solution is installing a slightly older version of the same distro.
    So if Ubuntu 11.04 is working very poor, try for 10.10 (src - wikipeida : its supported until apr 2012). Try exploring.

Also if possible, install one OS per system when the memory resources are low.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 5, 2012

I think uBuntu 11.04 will work fine with 1GB RAM. I think the latest uBuntu is very stable and should work fine even with limited resources.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register