Linux problems: urgent

Q} If the size of the file is 2050 bytes then what disk space will it occupy?

Q} what is a system process?

Q} How can we control the execution of a process?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    A1) This will depend on the file system. Taking ext2/ext3 as an example, the default cluster size is 4096 bytes. So a file of 2050 bytes should take up 4kb of space. the default cluster size can be changed at the time of creation (of the file system).
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Try using a "ps -ax" command at your prompt and check the list of processes.

To kill a process try "kill -9 "
  • pushpen mahawar
    pushpen mahawar
    A2) every process has a unique process id which is known as PID.
    two types of process -
    1. foreground process
    2. background process

to see the the currently running process use folowing command- and than press enter ..type
    ''top'' than enter.

if u want remove any process type folowing command in the prompt -
    kill

and to remove all processes
    ''kill all'' than enter
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Thank you all
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    you can use top command to view processes.It will show u all details and you can easily control processes using top.htop is even better than top.But you will have to install it separately.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sponsors: Cisco Host: Patrick Donegan, Senior Analyst, Heavy Reading; Shailesh Shukla, Vice President, Product Management for the Edge Routing Business Unit, Cisco Date: Thursday, October 01, 2009 Time: 11:00 a.m....
Hi, I have to program a real time exercise machine. Its basically a weight lifting machine with the weight part joint to the machine and movable. The program should control...
These are the Nominees for the top award that will be presented by the International Cricket Council in Johannesburg on October 1. The nominations were finalised by a 25-member international...
Hi. I want some project ideas based on Gps & laser system. please, help me..
I'm a fresher in Instrumentation engineering.I was not able to secure a campus placement and i am very much interested in pursuing a career as an Instrumentation engineer in the...