Linux or Windows ?

I have been a very hardcore fan of LINUX .... & from last 2 years i have hardly consumed 2 to 3 hours in Windows OS. I believe in freewares .... Once Sir Linus Torvalds said, "operating systems & Softwares are like sex, its good only when they are free" ...

What's your point of view, friends ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The debate won't be fruitful unless it's more refined. Linux or Windows : For who? Developers, Sellers, Older People, Common People, Software Makers, Corporates, GPU makers?

Then the question is for what?
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    The_Big_K
    The debate won't be fruitful unless it's more refined. Linux or Windows : For who? Developers, Sellers, Older People, Common People, Software Makers, Corporates, GPU makers?

Then the question is for what?
    Linux for all !!
    It was time when Linux were most probably used by Devs .... but recently in last 2-3 years it had progressed a lot .... Almost 60% of windows apps are supported using WineHQ .... Linux-RH recently signed "STEAM" for linux .... so gamers with linux can enjoy it too ...... & when it comes to Common people .. i have never seen such a user friendly OS!
    Coming to servers ... we know most servers are linux based due to custom packages.
    What more can i say 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    See, the desktops are dying and Linux is nowhere to be seen on tablets and phones. Installing Linux and not being able to find the familiar explorer, C and D drives still scare the hell out of regular people. I'd agree that Linux flavors uBuntu's progressed a lot their latest Unity interface is actually pain to use (my opinion).

Linux's this 'made for geeks' in people's minds. The more surprising thing is even the corporates prefer Windows based workstations.

People are addicted to windows and that could be the reason, Windows still sells like a hot cake.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    I sadly have to agree on last part 😭
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Based on security, Linux is and has always been a very secure operating system. Although it can still be attacked, when comparing it with Windows, it much more secure.
    Window's has made great improvements over the years with security on their operating system, But still it continues to be the most vulnerable to viruses and other attacks
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Linux for getting work done, Windows for games. That is how it has been for me, for quite some time now. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    silverscorpion
    Linux for getting work done, Windows for games. That is how it has been for me, for quite some time now. 😀
    I kept on switching back to Windows for the Microsoft Office programs. Nothing on Linux ever goes closer to what Microsoft's achieved with their office suite. But it's been great so far on the OSX. MS Office on Windows works the best.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    The_Big_K
    I kept on switching back to Windows for the Microsoft Office programs. Nothing on Linux ever goes closer to what Microsoft's achieved with their office suite. But it's been great so far on the OSX. MS Office on Windows works the best.
    Have u tried LibreOffice in Fedora ?

Here's the screenshots & to be honest its more fluent than MS office.
    [​IMG]

LIBREOFFICE WRITER (EQUIVALENT TO MS OFFICE) ::--
    [​IMG]

LIBREOFFICE IMPRESS (EQUIVALENT TO MS POWERPOINT) ::
    [​IMG]

LIBREOFFICE CALC (EQUIVALENT TO MS EXCEL) ::-
    [​IMG]
    LIBREOFFICE DRAW (EQUIVALENT TO MS PAINT ) ::-
    [​IMG]

LIBREOFFICE DATABASE (EQUIVALENT TO MS ACCESS) ::-
    [​IMG]

I really dont find any difference between MS OFFICE & LibreOffice ... 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've been following it since the times of 'Star Office'. It does a good job of working as a good text editor for basic text editing. But the overall ease of use (it's a personal choice, you see) is nowhere near to MS Word. I didn't spend much time on Libre Office because I've mostly switched over to OSX in the past 1 year and hardly use MS Office except for the 'official documents'.

Just curious - do they have OSX version as well? I might just give them a try.

Update: Yes, they do: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    Its matter of taste 😀

& yeah there's Mac version too ... #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I hope you will understand the thread's concept from the title. Am little confused with this!!!!😨 Can anyone help? I need the answer with reason. 😐
So friends, do you think Illuminati exists ?? Sometimes i believe so & sometime i don't ...... This conspiracy theory sounds so real, aint it ? Like Obama said they...
Me & my friend on our way to college .... after long conversation ... She : So what kind of PC you own ? Me : AMD FX4100 AM3+, 4...
After releasing its Android powered tablet KindleFire, Amazon is now all set to release its first smartphone. Amazon has collaborated with Foxconn in development of its own smartphone. Foxconn is...
Am Athish krishna,Studying B.Tech (IT) Final year..