Linux Kernel 3.12 Upcoming Features.

Recently Linux Kernel 3.11 has been released & just few days after release few changes have queued up that will be included in upcoming Linux kernel 3.12

Features :
- GPU Run-time Power Management : It helps to switch ON and OFF the secondary GPU as per it's usage (Very useful for nVidia Optimus)

- zRAM : It's been promoted in main area of Kernel from 3.12 onwards.

- AMD 'Berlin" HSA APU Support

- Snapdragon DRM/KMS Driver : Work by Rob Clark as Freedreno project who have reversed engineer Opensource 2D/3D support for Qualcomm's ARM SoC.

Seems like most of the upcoming changes are related to graphics tweaks/changes & hardware support.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    --> There is EXT4 File-System update incoming in 3.12 which includes two main features :
    • Aggressive Extent Caching : It is very good feature which will lead to usage of lesser memory than current stats & asynchronous I/O improvements.
    • Improved Recovery : Recovers corrupted allocation bitmaps while using ignore mount option.
    --> Also, existing sound drivers are improved & there's new sound hardware drivers included.
    • HDMI & DisplayPort audio updates.
    • New sound hardware support for : Analog devices ADAU1702, Atmel AT91ASM9x5, Samsung Exynos 5420 SoCs, Texas Instruments PCM 1681 & Renesas R-Car SoCs.
    --> Nouveau Driver changes (Opensource Nvidia Drivers)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Samsung's F2FS (Flash Friendly File System) has gained major performance improvement & bug fixes for upcoming Linux Kernel 3.12

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On side note : You should use F2FS for RPi or any ARM based mini-computer like Beaglebone,UDOO,etc. It not only increases the life of SDHC but it's also faster than Ext4.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I had this doubt for a long time , so i am here to post my question and wait for an appropriate answer.Many friends have said that vehicle tyres which...
Institute of Materials Processing has introduced new brake rotor that could greatly improve vehicle braking systems with new, lightweight, low-cost brake rotor. IMP has developed an aluminum brake rotor that...
Range Rover the king of SUV's still dominate the world with its karismatic look and bold design.Recently Range Rover had released a special black design pack in India with an...
I couldnt get the benefit of overriden methods !! Why overriding is used ? Is it a feature or demerit of java ? Methods declared in any interface need to...
We all knew that the great legends of bikes Kawasaki,Suzuki,yamaha and Ducati.Here are two crazy bikes released from Kawasaki for Indian customers and bike lovers.The monsters to be on Indian...