Linux Installation

hello.....I want to learn Linux .I am already having Windows XP on my Laptop. Now I also want to add Linux along with that existing ...

Please suggest me link to easy download Linux and also its installation steps.

I also want to know that is the php and apache installation on Linux is same or not as that on Windows XP.

next to next month i would be undergoing a project in NIC company .they work on open source linux and php. So I need to learn both .suggest me some tutorials and advise some help. Its very important.

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Neha,

You can check following thread also. May be of some use. ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Neha Kochhar
    Neha Kochhar
    yes I have checked that.But I need to install Linux(unbuntu) on my laptop.so Advise me some good site where I can easily download and also its steps to install with windows XP alreday existing on system
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Neha - Ubuntu installation is damn easy. Just pop in Ubuntu DVD in your drive and boot from it. Use the GUI installer - everything is pretty straightforward.

I recommend freeing some space before you go with the install. You can do that (if required at all) by using VISTA's disk manager.

PHP & APACHE work great on UBUNTU. Also, there are plenty of tutorials to get you started with Ubuntu. If you face any problem, do let us know. We'll be happy to help you.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Adding to Biggie's point, u can download ISO from net ( its free and legal) and then write upon a CD. A newer version of Ubuntu has come in 9.4 and its very fast i heard ! and if you feel ISO imaging stuff and all is crap, you can always online a installation CD as well. it takes time though!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Ubuntu is very easy to install and use.The steps are very easy and complete installation is GUI based.Only problem you may face is during partitioning.For first time i would suggest you to use only basic types of partitions.

When you see the screen which asks for selecting partitioning method,select 'manual' from that.
    Then select filesystem as ext3 or ext4 and mount point as / .I recommend to give at least 10GB to this partition.
    Then you can give one partition for /home. /home is used for storing user files(similar to 'Documents and Settings' in windows).
    You should give some space for swap.Select swap partition and give memory space around 2 times the memory of your RAM.
    This is how you are done with partitioning.

For using php you need to install lamp stack (Linux-Apache-PHP-Mysql).
    You can install it on ubuntu using these commands:
    1.sudo apt-get install apache2
    2.sudo apt-get install mysql-server
    3.sudo apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5

Now restart apache servvice using command:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Hope this will help you.
  • oldboy1985
    oldboy1985
    can u please tell me the terminal command for the uninstall of particular package
    when u know the pakage name
    not from
    the package manager
    and how to verify that the dependencies also have been uninstalled ๐Ÿ˜•

thanks in the advance
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    oldboy1985
    can u please tell me the terminal command for the uninstall of particular package
    when u know the pakage name
    not from
    the package manager
    and how to verify that the dependencies also have been uninstalled ๐Ÿ˜•

thanks in the advance

You can use these 2 commands :
    sudo apt-get remove package_name
    OR
    sudo apt-get autoremove package_name

The difference is, in first only the specified package is removed and in second all dependencies are also removed.
  • oldboy1985
    oldboy1985
    komputergeek
    You can use these 2 commands :
    sudo apt-get remove package_name
    OR
    sudo apt-get autoremove package_name

The difference is, in first only the specified package is removed and in second all dependencies are also removed.
    thanks ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is a easy and good puzzle. Find the 8 digit number which satiesfies all of the following conditions 1-> the first 2 and last 2 digits are same. 2->...
CEans, The engineering admissions season will begin soon in most of the countries around the world. Lot of aspiring engineers will want to select a good college/university and here is...
On Monday afternoon, I was speaking on a panel at the Social Graph Symposium when the moderator asked me what eBay could do to revitalize its marketplace by leveraging the...
Hi.... friends. I need the information about 'Industrial applications of stepper motor' for my project named 'PC Based Remote Control of Stepper Motor'.Can anybody help me.
During her KYCEan interview, CEan Durga mentioned that she would like something like "How Stuff Works" on CE. The idea sounded good and I have decided to write the first...