Line Follower Robot

Hello Ceans !

I saw that many ceans are asking about the project or posting threads regarding the query in their project but no one replies back with the status of their project or the improvement in the project.

So i had decided to start one thread as i am right now working on one Line Follower Robot.

And for this first post i want to post this Robot's overview.

I am going to make this Robot based on the Microcontroller and i am using S08AC16 from freescale.
I had searched and read some reports on Line Follower and finally also designed the Circuit i will post it in the next Reply.

After the study i come to know that Line Follower is simply a Combination of Color detection and Stepper Motor control, as we have to sense the color of the line and have to control the stepper motor.

Right now circuit is final.
So my Next Step is...

1. To design the PCB.
2. Make Software Module for Color Sensing ( But before that i have to choose the sensor either IR or LDR, I think i will go with LDR as i also have to sense RED color line in between the Black Line.) and Stepper motor Control and 7 Segment Display.
3. Integrate the software.

So friends please pour your suggestion who had worked with Line Follower.

_GodFather_

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here is the Circuit Diagram:

I had used PROTEL software for the drawing of Circuit Diagram or Schematic Diagram. Guys you can also try to design this circuit or you can take it as a reference. please come up with your Diagrams.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Heya, keep it up!

How does the S08AC16 compare to a PIC18F series microcontroller?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Well this controller is from Freescale. and its IDE is CODEWARRIOR... so Basically this IDE is the Best i had ever use as compare to KEIL,MPLAB,IAR or AVR Studio.

Initialization of the peripheral in this is very easy thats why we are going with this one.

We can also use PIC18F. But i found This one very user friendly.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    Need more help
  • balaji7490
    balaji7490
    heya,

guys is there any other simpler circuits for building a line following robot
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    TARANJEET SINGH
    Need more help
    Let us know which kind of help you need.

balaji7490
    heya,

guys is there any other simpler circuits for building a line following robot
    This one is the simplest circuit i found.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Today's Update:

I had completed the Designing of the PCB Layout and i will share it tomorrow.
  • balaji7490
    balaji7490
    ok thanks dude
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hello Guys,

I am working on the Seven Segment display Code.
    so let me tell you the basic circuitry for the same here to save the pin of controller i had used shift register #-Link-Snipped-#. Because of this now there is no need to connect 8 Pins of Controller to the Seven segment Display.

Now you have to connect only two pins CLOCK and DATA to the Shift Register and the output from the 74HC164 is given to the display.

So untill i post its Code here if anyone is interested to work on this code try to make code and post it here.. no matter if you are using Shift Register or not.. if you are not using then make code without it... use 8 Pins of controller.

if anyone has confused in making code then we will discuss it here. but you must have to try something.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hello Friends,
    Any one had tried anything?

OK let me post the Code for the Seven Segment Display.

#define MCLK PTED_PTED2 // Pin 2 of Port E as Clock
    #define MDATA PTED_PTED3 // Pin 3 of Port E as Data

void MCU_init(void);
    const unsigned char d[10] = {63,6,91,79,102,109,125,39,127,111};

unsigned char i;

void Delay()
    {
    unsigned int i = 0xfff;
    while(--i);
    }

void shift_out()
    {
    unsigned char n = 9;

while(--n)
    {
    MDATA = 0;
    if((byte1&0x80) == 0x80)
    {
    MDATA = 1;
    }
    MCLK = 1;
    MCLK = 0;
    byte1 = byte1 << 1;
    }
    }
    void Display()
    {
    byte1 = ~d[j];
    shift_out();
    Delay();
    }

void main(void)
    {

unsigned int j=0;
    MCU_init();

for( ; ; )
    {
    for(j=0;j<10;j++)
    {
    Display();
    Delay();
    Delay();
    Delay();
    Delay();
    Delay();
    Delay();
    Delay();
    }

}

}
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Any Question?
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    can you please tell me what it will do.Sorry i can't try it because i don't have an programming kit to transfer the code 😔
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    TARANJEET SINGH
    can you please tell me what it will do.Sorry i can't try it because i don't have an programming kit to transfer the code 😔
    Well see the programmer for the ATMEL and PHILLIPS is easily available you can try them...i had buy NXP(Phillips) programmer from Local market. let me know if you want any guidance from my side... but before that... be clear that on which controller you want to work... find it out in your local market and then start doing project.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hello Ceans,

there is one change that i am doing... i am using DC motor not stepper motor so now i required only one L298 Driver as it is Dual Bridge Driver.

Next thing is to run DC motor... so for that there is very simple thing you have to apply 0 and 1 to two different connection of DC motor and if you altered it... it will run in the reverse direction use this basic things to run DC motor..

Feel free to post question.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    godfather
    Well see the programmer for the ATMEL and PHILLIPS is easily available you can try them...i had buy NXP(Phillips) programmer from Local market. let me know if you want any guidance from my side... but before that... be clear that on which controller you want to work... find it out in your local market and then start doing project.
    I'm using ATMEL micro controller, and learned KEIL to make hex file and can you please tell me that is there any difference b\w atmel and phillips micro controllers(i don't think so).
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    atmel MicroC are more efficient and faster in my experience!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    TARANJEET SINGH
    I'm using ATMEL micro controller, and learned KEIL to make hex file and can you please tell me that is there any difference b\w atmel and phillips micro controllers(i don't think so).
    Not Much Difference you can go ahead with ATMEL.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    thanks... 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    i had done some modification and instead of L298 i am using Transistor to drive DC motor... and the Robot is almost complete.. i will post its video soon.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This is simple line follower robot that will follow Black line and this one is based on the Freescale controller its very handy

• TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    is it yours godfather¿
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Good one!!

But I think it was slow, considering you used a DC motor... What is the RPM of the motor you are using?

And, did you face any problems with L298? Why did you go for a transistor drive? Nothing wrong in that, but using an IC will be easy..

You can try L293D if you face problems with L298. So, if it was just a bit faster, it would've been better..
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    i am using Freescale microcontroller and dont know but i have only one Driver 298 so instead of waiting for new one i had used Transistor based circuit.... i had kept speed slow in next modification i will make is faster.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think you can drive two DC motors with one L298 Ic. There are four input and four output pins, which means we can control 2 DC motors, because, each dc can be controlled by 2 output lines.

Anyhow, it's ok, and do make it faster in the next improvement..

Also, could you give the sensor placement? How many sensors have you used?
  • marustech
    marustech
    hai ceans i'm a final year be student i want to do my project in embedded so please give me ideas
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    silverscorpion
    I think you can drive two DC motors with one L298 Ic. There are four input and four output pins, which means we can control 2 DC motors, because, each dc can be controlled by 2 output lines.

Anyhow, it's ok, and do make it faster in the next improvement..

Also, could you give the sensor placement? How many sensors have you used?
    i had used three Sensors Two for White line and one for black line... now working on new bot i want to make it Compact.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guys, I have few doubts regarding Metallurgy. We are using Bearing Steel (EN-31 / SAE 52100) for manufacturing certain components. We are using commercial quality material from ISMT and...
hi folks, I am having Internet connection from BSNL and it frequently gets disconnected. I am using Ubuntu 10.0.4 and i use "wget" command to download file and if internet...
Hey people...i have a question regarding multiplexer. Implement the following function with a multiplexer f(A,B,C,D) = ∑(0,1,3,4,8,9,15)
Hi Friends, Its been long since I last posted on CE. Reason I was busy with my MBA after a successful CAT 08. Now that I have completed my course...
I just googled for the latest IIM world rankings but couldn't find IIM's name anywhere.. So can anyone tell me where does IIM come in the world rankings at present...